BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 21,000 refugees from nearly 50 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 800 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 1,500 refugees and asylees.
SCOPE OF LOGISTICS INTERN WORK: The Logistics interns will work closely with the Logistic Specialist to coordinate transportation and interpreters to assist newly arrived refugee families to attend core services and other appointments such as doctor visits and social services. The Logistics Intern will also assist with orienting clients to MARTA and assisting Specialist with organizing data pertaining to arrivals.
RESPONSIBILITIES:· Orienting clients to MARTA/ public transportation (to IRC, health clinic, shopping centers) · Assisting Logistics staff to prepare for incoming arrivals which may include apartment set up · Supporting representatives from various social services agencies to process clients DFCS office / SS office · Coordinating transportation and interpreters with Logistics Specialist to assist newly arrived refugee families to attend core services and medical appointments
- Providing general administrative support to Logistics Specialist
- Other duties as needed and assigned by Logistics Specialist
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Bi-lingual in a relevant language is a plus
- Clean driving record required
- Occasional heavy lifting may be requested
- Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences
- Excellent communication and organization skills with attention to detail
- Able to work independently and under pressure
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
- Strong desire to help people and enthusiasm for working in a multi-cultural setting
- Computer literacy, preferably with PC systems
- A car and valid driver’s license
Internship Deadlines: Spring Dec 15, Summer Apr 15, Fall Jul 15
For more information or to apply, please contact Duncan de la Feld, Volunteer Coordinator, at VolunteerATL@Rescue.org or 678-636-8928. To learn more about us, please visit the IRC website at www.Rescue.org/Atlanta
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 months
- Youth Futures Program Intern
- EL- Civics Education Intern
- Finance and Administration Intern
- Youth Futures Program Summer...
- Finance Assistant Intern
- Youth Futures Program Intern
- Public Relations Intern
- First Things First Women's...
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- English as a Second Language-...
- Childcare Volunteer Position
- Community Health Promoter Intern
- Career Development Intern
- Fundraising Intern
- Logistics Volunteer
- Reproductive Health Intern...
- Job Placement Americorps
- English as a Second Language...
- Donations Intern
- Temporary Assistance for Needy...