The BOSTON CHINATOWN NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER (BCNC) is looking for self-driven, dedicated individuals to help tutor adults enrolled in our ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes!
Come volunteer with us for a semester, and you'll...
- Develop valuable teaching and communication skills;
- Learn about the local immigrant community from a personal perspective; and
- Help your student build the language and self-confidence they need to achieve their goals in the U.S.!
No experience needed: we'll provide a training on the basics of working with adult learners and teaching ESOL, as well as some materials for your first few sessions.
This opportunity is for volunteers who...
- Are eighteen years of age or older;
- Are fluent in both spoken and written English;
- Are independent, patient, and open-minded;
- Can commit to two hours a week for a semester (~6 months);
- Are available during weekday mornings and/or afternoons; and
- Would like to work with primarily Chinese immigrants. (The rest of our students come from Haiti, the Middle East, and South America.)
Founded in 1969 by community residents, the Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center’s mission is to ensure that the children, youth, and families we serve have the resources and support to achieve greater economic success and social well-being. For more information, please visit us at www.bcnc.net.
Our Boston site is located a little behind Tufts Medical Center, and is accessible via the Orange and Silver Lines.
- Cross-cultural Communication
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hrs/wk for at least six months
- Weekday morning/afternoon availability; English fluency (oral & written)