The BOSTON CHINATOWN NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER (BCNC) is looking for self-driven, dedicated individuals to help tutor adults enrolled in our ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes!
We are currently seeking volunteers for our spring semester (Jan. to June 2017). At this time, we can only accept tutors with weekday morning and/or afternoon availability; no evening or weekend opportunities are available.
Come volunteer with us for a semester, and you'll...
- Develop valuable teaching and communication skills;
- Learn about the local immigrant community from a personal perspective;
- Build not only your student's English skills, but also their self-confidence; and
- Work with your student to achieve their goals, whether it's to be able to communicate with their child's teacher or to earn a bachelor's degree!
No experience needed! We'll provide a training on the basics of cross-cultural communication and teaching ESOL, as well as some materials for your first few sessions.
This opportunity is for volunteers who...
- Are eighteen years of age or older;
- Possess fluency in both spoken and written English;
- Are independent, patient, and open-minded;
- Can commit to two hours a week for about six months (or at least a semester);
- Are available for tutoring during the week; and
- Would like to work with primarily Chinese immigrants (the rest of our students come from the Middle East, South America, and Southeast Asia).
Founded in 1969 by community residents, the Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center’s mission is to ensure that the children, youth, and families we serve have the resources and support to achieve greater economic success and social well-being. For more information, please visit us at www.bcnc.net.
Our Boston site is located a little behind Tufts Medical Center. T-accessible (Orange Line).
- Cross-cultural Communication
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week, 6 months minimum
- Fluent in English