Tutor Adult Immigrants in English!
416 people are interested
The BOSTON CHINATOWN NEIGHBORHOOD CENTER (BCNC) is looking for independent, dedicated individuals to help tutor adult immigrants enrolled in our ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes!
Come volunteer with us for six months, and you'll...
- Develop valuable teaching and communication skills;
- Learn about Boston's immigrant community from a personal perspective; and
- Help your student improve not only their English skills, but also their self-confidence and their ability to navigate everyday life in a new country!
Teaching/tutoring experience is helpful but not required: we'll provide a training on the basics of working with adult learners and teaching ESOL, as well as materials for your first few sessions.
- Tutor a BCNC Adult Education student one-on-one in everyday, workplace, and/or academic English, either in English only or in English and the student’s native language
- Plan lessons for tutoring sessions based on the student’s needs and/or interests
- At least 18 years old
- Able to pass a CORI and SORI background check
- Fluent in English (oral and written)
- Have excellent communication skills
- Culturally competent, open-minded, and patient
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Have teaching and/or tutoring experience (helpful but not required)
- Have experience working with immigrants, English language learners, and/or adult learners (helpful but not required)
- Fluent in another language (helpful but not required)
As the largest social service provider for Asian families in the Greater Boston area, Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center (BCNC) responds to community needs by delivering holistic, family-centered, and culturally competent programs to over 3,000 children, youth, and adults each year.
The BCNC Adult Education & Workforce Initiatives Program provides adult immigrants with the language and support they need to achieve social and economic self-sufficiency in the United States. Our services include English classes for immigrants with education and career goals, a customer service job training program for immigrants seeking entry-level employment, and an English class for parents and caregivers of K-12 children.
Our Boston site is a two-minute walk away from the Tufts Medical stop on the Orange and Silver Lines.
For more information, visit bcnc.net.
38 Ash StreetBoston, MA 02111
- Cross-cultural Communication
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hrs/wk for at least 6 months
- Weekday morning and/or afternoon availability