Olive Ridley Sea Turtle Programme, Costa Rica
6 people are interested
Volunteer in Costa Rica and become a sea turtle volunteer, helping to conserve and protect the populations of vulnerable Olive Ridleys. The project takes place in the spectacular Pacific coast of the Nicoya Province on the beach where Olive Ridley turtles come up in thousands at a time for this phenomenon of nature called "arribadas".
You can join for 1 week up to 12 weeks all year round
Individuals, groups, students doing research and families all welcome.
As an Olive Ridley sea turtle volunteer, you will assist with:
- Measuring the carapace (shell) length and width of nesting adult turtles
- Helping with data collection for master books (record time, zone, activity, etc. of the turtles)
- Supporting researchers with tagging and general checking
- Nest exhumations
- Beach cleanups (to remove debris that would impede the movement of nesting females or hatchlings)
- Sports and cultural activities
We'll work with your schedule.
OstionalNicoya Peninsula, 50306Costa Rica
- Must be at least 18
- Physically fit, Fluent in English and/or Spanish