Rec League Coaches work with one team of girls and/or boys within the SBU Recreational Soccer League during Fall and/or Spring Seasons. Coaches run short practices and manage games for youth that compete against the other teams within the SBU league, which consists of 12 age groups and over 80 teams. Coaches not only share the joy of playing the sport, but also reinforce the values that sport helps develop (teamwork, discipline, respect, etc).
* Saturday morning/afternoon in Fall and/or Spring. Coaches volunteer a set 1.5-2 hour slot between 9am-5pm. The time slot is dependent on the age group being coached.
* Fall runs September 10 th -November 19th
* Spring runs mid-March - June
Where: (Coaches are only required to be at one site)
* Macomb's Dam Field: 161st St between River and Jerome Avenues. The field is on the South side of Yankee Stadium across from Gate 4.
* Mullaly Park: Jerome Avenue at 165th Street. Park is on the north side of Yankee Stadium
* South Bronx High School: 701 St Anne's Ave Bronx, NY 10455
* Coaches must be able to commit to being present for at least a 1.5 hours every Saturday (excluding holiday weekends) during the season.
* One season commitment minimum, but two seasons is preferred.
* Coaches should understand they will be the point person for contact with families and players and willing to make phone calls home to ensure plays are aware of games/other important news.
Previous coaching experience is not required, but enthusiasm for working with children is a necessity.
We will provide volunteers with orientation materials, coaching training, and a coaching manual. A formal orientation/ training will be held prior to each season. Coaches will be assigned to age groups (age 4-19) based on experience, availability, and preference.
In addition to helping provide the resources and support to allow under resourced youth the opportunity to participate in an organized sport, coaches will have opportunities for professional coaching trainings and will be connected to a network of caring volunteers for fun soccer related events throughout the year.
- Child Development
- Sports Coaching
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5-2 hours/week
- Fill out an application at: http://southbronxunited.org/getinvolved/volunteer/rec-coach
- Non Profit Development Internship
- College Prep Tutor - SAT Prep
- Volunteer Coordinator -...
- STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT INTERN
- Academic Coach (After School...
- AmeriCorps Vista Development and...
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Teaching...
- Soccer Coach-Mentor: SBU Global...
- ESOL Tutor
- College Prep Tutor - Seniors
- College Prep Mentor
- Travel Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Coaching...
- Head Coach & Mentor for Girls...
- Non-Profit Data Systems Internship
- Girls Soccer Coach & Mentor
- After School Soccer Coach
- College Prep Tutor - Sophomores
- AmeriCorps UP2US Coach & Mentor
- Youth Recreational Soccer Coach