Rec League Coaches work with one team of girls and/or boys within the SBU Recreational Soccer League during Fall and/or Spring Seasons. Coaches run short practices and manage games for youth that compete against the other teams within the SBU league, which consists of 9 age groups and 62 teams. Coaches not only share the joy of playing the sport, but also reinforce the values that sport helps develop (teamwork, discipline, respect, etc).
* Saturday morning/afternoon in Fall and/or Spring. Coaches volunteer a set 1.5-2 hour slot between 9am-5pm. The time slot is dependent on the age group being coached.
* Fall runs September 10-November 19
* Spring runs mid-March - June
Where: (Coaches are only required to be at one site)
* Macomb's Dam Field: 161st St between River and Jerome Avenues. The field is on the South side of Yankee Stadium across from Gate 4.
* Mullaly Park: Jerome Avenue at 165th Street. Park is on the north side of Yankee Stadium
* South Bronx High School: 701 St Anne's Ave
* Coaches must be able to commit to being present for at least a 1.5 hours every Saturday (excluding holiday weekends) during the season.
* One season commitment minimum, but two seasons is preferred.
* Coaches should understand they will be the point person for contact with families and players and willing to make phone calls home to ensure plays are aware of games/other important news.
Previous soccer knowledge is not required, but enthusiasm for working with children is a necessity.
We will provide volunteers with orientation materials, coaching training, and a coaching manual. A formal orientation/ training will be held prior to each season. Coaches will be assigned to age groups (age 4-19) based on experience, availability, and preference.
In addition to helping provide the resources and support to allow under resourced youth the opportunity to participate in an organized sport, coaches will have opportunities for professional coaching trainings and will be connected to a network of caring volunteers for fun soccer related events throughout the year.
- Child Development
- Sports Coaching
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5-2 hours/week
- Fill out an application at: http://southbronxunited.org/getinvolved/volunteer/rec-coach
- Non Profit Development Intern
- Travel Soccer Coach and Mentor
- Coed U6 Recreational soccer coach
- U8 Recreational soccer coach
- College Prep Tutor
- College Prep Mentor 2016-2017
- Education Internship - Fall 2016
- Communications Internship - Fall...
- Special Events Internship - Fall...
- ESOL Tutor 2016-2017
- PSAT/SAT Prep - Verbal & Writing...
- College Advisory Internship -...
- After School Soccer Coach...
- Immigrant Youth Coach & Mentor
- PSAT/SAT Prep - Math Tutor
- Youth Soccer Coach...
- Academic Coach (After School...