MSC-South is 1 of the 4 programs of St. Vincent de Paul Society of San Francisco (SVDP-SF) where we strive to treat all of our guests with dignity & respect.
Breakfast is offered to our 340 residential guests each and every day of the year with a side of smiles to start the day off right!
WHERE TO GO:
- Enter MSC-South through the main entrance on Bryant Street
- By-pass our line of guests & let security know which shift you're there to volunteer for
- Please introduce yourself to a staff-member (identifiable by an MSC-South ID badge) in the drop-in area or the main front-desk/reception area & ask them to direct you towards the kitchen/dining room
- Please introduce yourself to the kitchen staff, store your belongings, wash your hands & ask the kitchen staff where your help is most needed that day
- "NO" to shorts, sleeveless shirts, dresses, skirts, open-toed or high-heeled shoes
- "YES" to loosely-fitted & comfortable clothing that covers your arms/legs with close-toed shoes
- Wearing a hairnet, gloves & apron is mandatory & will be provided by the kitchen staff once you've cleaned your hands (if you should need to use the restroom mid-shift please discard the initial set of gloves/hairnet/apron & afterwards obtain a new one)
- Keep in mind: the food-service shifts can get warm as they're located in the basement level of the building, so please don't wear thermals or heavy sweaters!
Depending on how many other volunteers we have for that shift you could be asked to help with:
- prepping food-trays
- serving food onto trays in service-line
- pouring beverages
- getting/bussing 'service-trays' for folks who need assistance (everyone else is expected to obtain/bus their own trays)
- cleaning tables after our guests complete their meals as well as refill beverages and/or distribute napkins upon request
- helping with waste management by the compost/recycling bins
- Security requires you to sign-in once at entry
- Sign-in (again) in the kitchen's office/storage area where I update the weekly sign-in sheets
- Unmetered/unmarked parking is sometimes available in an alley called "Welsh" which is accessible on 5th Street between Bryant & Brannan, but be careful not to block someone's entrance/garage
- Metered parking is often available within a few blocks, and meters run on weekends as well so please pay attention to the signs to avoid getting ticketed
- We do not have lockers, but belongings can be kept in the kitchen's office/storage area for the duration of your shift
- Although this is the only locked-area we can offer as storage, please refrain from bringing items of high value to the shift & it is recommended that keep your wallet, keys & phone in your pockets
- Should there be any issues that you need to report immediately on-site, please ask to speak with the scheduled shift-supervisor & then kindly notify/update me as well
Lastly: *THANK YOU!* for the incredible work you choose to do to help support those in need & I hope you enjoy your shift!
415-977-1270 EXT 111
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Customer Service
- Cooking / Catering
- Food & Beverage Services
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Food Service
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- < span style=
- We need your photograph skills...
- Sort donations and stock the...
- Lean, Mean, Cleaning Machine?!...
- Rise & Shine =) Help Serve...
- Development Department volunteer
- Volunteer Hairstylist
- Serve a Meal, to those in need...
- Donation Sorter needed once a...
- WordPress & Design Volunteers
- Volunteer and avoid commuting...