Is your dog a good listener and loves attention? Become a R.E.A.D. or pet therapy team!
DONATE TO THIS
64 people are interested
Help youth develop grade level reading with your Reading Education Assistance Dog!
Thank you for your interest in Paws & Think, a leader in using the Human-Animal Bond to enhance lives in the Indianapolis community. We are currently looking for volunteers with well-mannered dogs to become trained reading facilitators and volunteer with our school-based teams. Studies show kids who are unable to read at grade level by the end of 3rd grade are most likely not going to complete high school. Our trained therapy dog teams work in Title 1 schools and in classrooms with children having special needs to provide a non-judgmental learning environment. Science has proven that therapy dogs have a calming effect while also bringing feelings of happiness, creating a perfect situation for development of reading skills, fluency and comprehension.
Paws and Think, Inc. offers
- classes for you and your dog to become a therapy team
- evaluations to assess your readiness to work as a team
- registration and insurance for our volunteer therapy teams
- training provided by a licensed Reading Education Assistance Dogs instructor
- placement in one of our school-based programs
- guidance in your therapy work and friendships with other volunteers
- For those who have the desire to help but lack the time, consider making a tax-deductible donation to Paws and Think, Inc.
We'll work with your schedule.
Indianapolis and Surrounding CommunitiesINDIANAPOLIS, IN 46202
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Animal Therapy
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- up to 2 hours a week during the school year