Are you passionate about gardening, nature, or working outdoors with children? If so, consider volunteering with Sauvie Island Center! Volunteers lead small groups of elementary school students through interactive, hands-on, farm-based lessons on plant life cycles, soil science, pollination, and more.
A trip to Sauvie Island Center is a rich and unique opportunity for Portland youth to visit and explore the Sauvie Island Organics Farm and the grounds of Howell Territorial Park.
Volunteer Farm Educators are essential to the success of our program! As a Sauvie Island Center volunteer you will:
- Gain experience in environmental education, interpretation, and gardening.
- Spend your days outside on beautiful Sauvie Island.
- Become a member of a dynamic and energetic team of educators.
- Taste fresh produce from Sauvie Island Organics farm.
- Plant the seeds of knowledge and stewardship in local youth.
Each field trip is approximately a 5 hour volunteer day from 9:00am - 2:00pm. Our trained educators are asked to commit to leading a minimum of 5 field trips during the season.
Spring 2017 field trips begin will begin in early April, and run through mid June. Volunteer Farm Educator Training will be held before field trips begin. Please contact us or check back as the season nears for more information.
Please complete the short volunteer application form found on our website: http://www.sauvieislandcenter.org/get-involved/volunteer/
For more information, contact Sarah Philips, Education Program Manager:
- Youth Services
- Teaching / Instruction
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 9:00am - 2:00pm, minimum of five days per season