Are you passionate about gardening, nature, or working outdoors with children? If so, consider volunteering with Sauvie Island Center! Volunteers lead small groups of elementary school students through interactive, hands-on, farm-based lessons on plant life cycles, soil science, pollination, and more.
A trip to Sauvie Island Center is a rich and unique opportunity for Portland youth to visit and explore the Sauvie Island Organics Farm and the grounds of Howell Territorial Park.
Volunteer Farm Educators are essential to the success of our program! As a Sauvie Island Center volunteer you will:
- Gain experience in environmental education, interpretation, and gardening.
- Spend your days outside on beautiful Sauvie Island.
- Become a member of a dynamic and energetic team of educators.
- Taste fresh produce from Sauvie Island Organics farm.
- Plant the seeds of knowledge and stewardship in local youth.
Fall 2016 field trips begin Monday, September 12th and run through Friday, November 18th. Each trip is approximately a 5.5 hour volunteer day from 8:30am - 2:00pm. Our trained educators are asked to commit to leading a minimum of 5 field trips during the season.
Volunteer Farm Educator Training:
Friday, Sept. 9th, 9:00am-2:30pm, at Howell Territorial Park
Alternate training can be organized on an individual basis.
Please complete the short volunteer application form found on our website: http://www.sauvieislandcenter.org/get-involved/volunteer/
For more information, contact Sarah Philips, Education Program Manager:
- Youth Services
- Teaching / Instruction
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 9:00am - 2:00pm, minimum of five days per season