It may just be reading to you, but to our girls it's securing a future.
The Girls Inc. Literacy Project highlights best practices and strategies for youth-serving organizations to effectively work with schools and teachers in developing a literacy program for girls in grades K-3. Girls Inc. will serve as one of two affiliate pilot sites to integrate the program model into their organization and report on their progress. Pilot sites will leverage existing relationships with schools to form a strong bridge between formal and informal education in the development of a literacy program.
Volunteers are able to:
- Build positive and nurturing relationships with elementary girls
- Assist program staff in the development of activities
- Assist with the facilitation of literacy based activities
- Work with program staff to implement the evaluation process
- Provide ongoing communication with program staff
Volunteers can gain experience in:
- Working and interacting with a youth population
- Assisting with program development
- Exposure to a specific target population
- Gender specific programming
- Opportunity for personal growth and creativity
- Evaluations and assessments
- Promoting diverse learning experiences program facilitation
The program will be Monday-Thursday from 3-6pm. We would like volunteers to commit to 2 days per week to keep the volunteer schedules consistent for our girls. Their programs are Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday. However, if you are only available one day a week we will definitely work with what you can offer.
Supervised by Ashley Cashdollar, Volunteer Coordinator & Literacy Program Facilitators.
- Youth Services
- Teaching / Instruction
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 3 hours per week
- Proof of negative TB test is recquired. Live Scan background check.