Children's Program Volunteer in Family Homeless Shelter- Seattle Center
172 people are interested
Be a role model for children! Join a team of volunteers to work with children in a structured setting from a variety of family situations. Help create a fun, safe environment for children to build healthy relationships and explore ideas and feelings about themselves and others through play and activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Model caring interaction and respect as you provide quality supervision of the children.
- Provide a break for both the parent(s) and children in crisis.
- Respond to children's needs and take time, if possible, for individual interaction.
- Handle discipline concerns consistently and responsibly. Call on staff support if needed.
- Communicate with SHS staff the concerns and questions you have during your volunteer time.
- Be present for regular shifts and notify volunteer coordinator as much in advance as possible when unable to be present.
- Feel good about helping people in crisis.
- Receive training and learn tactics for positive interactions of youth of all ages and how to foster self-esteem in a supportive environment.
- Personal references and recommendations provided.
Time Parameters: Will be agreed upon by the volunteer and volunteer coordinator. Usually one and a half hour shifts once a week and a commitment of six months. Youth volunteers are welcome. This is a service-learning opportunity.
- Ability and desire to interact positively with homeless families.
- Ability to handle responsibility and to work independently.
- Willingness to work with children who may have developmental problems or behavioral challenges.
- Ability to pass background check
We'll work with your schedule.
232 Warren Avenue NorthSeattle, WA 98109
- Youth Services
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 6 weeks
- Ability and desire to interact positively with homeless families