54 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: The Center of Concern
Please visit the new page to apply.
54 people are interested
Friendly visitor volunteers are a vital in our mission to assist older adults in the Maine Township Area.
Purpose : Help area seniors overcome loneliness by providing conversation and companionship.
- Part time, usually once/week, 1 -2 hours per visit. Visits are scheduled at a mutually convenient day and time for both the volunteer and client.
- Genuine interest in helping others
- Perform all job duties in a manner which demonstrates a commitment to Center of Concern values and mission
- Maintain confidentiality with client, sharing concerns only with Volunteer Coordinator, who will determine if further action is required
- Maintain contact with Volunteer Coordinator whenever question or concerns arise in order to maximize benefit to the client.
Position Duties and Responsibilities :
- One-on-one visiting with a Center of Concern client, usually an isolated or lonely senior who is often home bound.
- Volunteers provide a personal, continuous private relationship with clients, usually at their residence.
- Visits can also include taking a walk, playing cards or games, or light household tasks such as laundry, shopping, simple repairs, meal preparation, seasonal chores, and/or providing transportation to medical facilities and errands.
- Hours spent with client must be reported to Volunteer Coordinator. Required Knowledge and capabilities :
- Be patient, friendly, and a good listener
- Working knowledge of agency programs and personnel
- Good hearing, verbal communication, reading and writing capabilities
About The Center of Concern
1665 Elk Boulevard, Des Plaines, IL 60016, US
The Center's mission is to provide Housing Solutions, Support Services and Counseling for Seniors, Disabled and Other in Need, enabling them to live with dignity and independence.
The Center of Concern, a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization, has responded to the needs of the disadvantaged in this community providing services to help Seniors, individuals and families maintain their independence with dignity, alleviate isolation, and promote physical and emotional well being.
The Center’s Program’s provide: Geriatric Counseling, Intergenerational initiatives, a Grief & Loss and Alzheimer Caregiver Support Group. All services are integral in the Center’s response to the growing needs of older residents. Our continuum of care begins with in-home assessments, and continues with ongoing elder care management and friendly visits, daily/weekly telephone reassurance, escort transportation, referrals for in-home health care, personal counseling and support groups, professional housing counseling, affordable housing solutions- home sharing, emergency homelessness prevention assistance, Rapid Re-Housing- timely resources and integrated practical counseling that includes: employment, legal, financial, Medicare/health insurance, money management, tax preparation, Power of Attorney for property and health.
Maine Township areaPark Ridge, IL 60068
September 5, 2023
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-8 hours per month
- Valid auto insurance