ESL Classroom Volunteer
71 people are interested
The Family Place in Washington, DC (Columbia Heights) is seeking enthusiastic volunteers to assist with adult ESL classes. While having some experience in a classroom setting is encouraged, no experience is necessary for this position. This is a great opportunity for college students (especially those studying education, English, TESOL Certification or linguistics), people who are interested in the field of adult education, retired teachers and those who love working with adult learners to gain practical experience while fulfilling a need in the community.
Position title: ESL Classroom Volunteer
Flexible start and end date for volunteers
Monday through Thursday, 9:30am - 11:30am (High Beginner Level)
Monday through Thursday,12:30pm - 2:30pm (Basic Level)
Summer classes run from June 29th to July 30th and our Fall classes run September through December, and our Spring classes go from January 11th to June 20th. We encourage individuals to volunteer as many hours as they like, but we ask a minimum commitment of one class period per week through the end of the semester.
Duties: ESL Classroom Volunteers work with The Family Place ESL Instructor to:
- Assist with daily classroom activities, including creating class materials if interested.
- Provide help and support to students one-on-one or in small group settings
- Assist with small projects such as making copies, grading homework, retrieving books and binders, etc while the Instructor is leading class
Qualifications: In addition to having the desire to volunteer and help students, the following qualifications apply:
- Volunteers must maintain a positive and patient attitude that contributes to a positive learning environment.
- Prior experience working with adult learners is preferred.
- Volunteers must be fluent in English, with a working knowledge of basic English grammar preferred.
The mission of The Family Place is to empower low income families and to foster the optimal development of their young children through educational and support services. To learn more about us and our programs, please visithttp:www.thefamilyplacedc.org
We'll work with your schedule.
3309 16th St NWWashington, DC 20010
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training