Do you believe literacy changes lives in positive ways?
We would love to have you become a literacy advocates in communities throughout southwest Minnesota, including Redwood Falls, Tracy, Cottonwood, Lake Benton, Slayton, and Marshall. Literacy advocates work with Literacy Volunteers of Southwest Minnesota staff to share information about literacy services to potential volunteers and learners. As a literacy advocate, you can provide important information to people in your community about literacy services and resources available from Literacy Volunteers, Adult Basic Education, United Way of Southwest Minnesota's Success by 6, local public libraries, and more.
This is a flexible volunteer opportunity that can be done according to your own schedule.
Tasks may include:
- Sharing print materials about LV*SW*MN and other area literacy organizations and opportunities
- Liking or fanning us on social media (We currently use Facebook and Get Connected)
- Submitting announcements provided by LV*SW*MN staff to print and electonic media and letting us know where such items have been submitted.
- Answering questions from community members regarding available literacy services
- Representing LV*SW*MN with provided displays at local community fairs, information fairs, service learning fairs, and similar events as the advocate is available
- Coordinating local volunteer orientations and trainings with LV*SW*MN staff
- Communicating regularly with LV*SW*MN staff
We will meet with literacy advocates in their communities to provide a two-hour orientation. Advocates will receive additional ongoing support. No previous experience is necessary, but we are looking for people who are passionate about making literacy and lifelong learning accessible to all people.
We welcome inquiries from individuals in communities in Lyon, Lincoln, Redwood, Murray, and Yellow Medicine Counties to contact us about becoming a literacy advocate.
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-5 hours/month