Collections Research Volunteer
39 people are interested
The Lee-Fendall House Museum is looking for volunteers to research collection objects at this historic house museum in support of its mission of serving as a historic, cultural, and educational resource for the community.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop a solid knowledge of the museum, its history, and the collection in order to maximize research efforts.
- Conduct research on historic objects within the collection as directed.
- Photograph collection objects.
- Make changes/additions to PastPerfect collections management database as directed.
- Ensure the safety and security of the collection, and follow best practices when moving or handling objects.
- Attend training as scheduled by the museum staff.
- May provide other collections assistance as needed, such as routine inventory and cleaning.
Manager of Education & Public Programs
- Must enjoy working in a museum setting.
- Research experience is required, as well as knowledge of history or art history.
- Experience working with museum collections is preferred, but not required.
Volunteers are expected to work a minimum of 6-10 hours per month. Hours and schedule are self-determined but time spent researching at the museum must occur within the museum’s normal hours of operation: Wednesday through Saturday, 10 AM-4 PM or Sunday from 1-4PM.
Training and guidance will be provided by museum staff, with a special emphasis on collections handling. Research guidelines and research report templates are provided upon start date. Access to free wi-fi is available at the museum but volunteers are expected to bring their own phone, tablet, or laptop if performing internet research on-site.
- Free on-site parking
- 10% discount in the museum shop
- Free admission to the museum and special tours.
- Free admission to many regional museums and historic sites.
We'll work with your schedule.
Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden614 Oronoco St.Alexandria, VA 22314
- People 55+
- 6-10 hours per month.
- Must use own laptop or device to perform internet research.