Collections Research Volunteer
38 people are interested
Research Volunteer/Collections Volunteer
To research collection objects at the Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden in support of its mission of preserving, maintaining, and interpreting the museum and its collection, thus serving as a historic, cultural, and educational resource for the community in the city of Alexandria.
- Sign in daily with the on-site administrator for any specific instructions.
- Develop a solid knowledge of the museum, its history, and the collection in order to maximize research efforts.
- Conduct research on specified objects within the collection.
- Make changes/additions to PastPerfect collections management database as directed.
- Ensure the safety and security of the collection, and follow best practices when moving or handling objects.
- Attend training as scheduled by the museum staff, including regular volunteer meetings.
- May provide other collections assistance as needed, such as routine inventory and cleaning.
Assistant Manager, Executive Director
Hours and schedule are self-determined but time spent researching at the museum must occur within the museum’s normal hours of operation: Wednesday through Sunday, 10-4 PM.
- Must enjoy working in a museum setting.
- Research experience is required, a background in history or art history is desired.
- Experience working with museum collections is also a plus, but not required.
Training and guidance will be provided by museum staff, with special emphasis on collections handling. Research guidelines and a site history are provided upon start date.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free parking
- 10% off gift shop purchases
- Free admission to historic sites throughout Old Town Alexandria.
We'll work with your schedule.
Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden614 Oronoco St.Alexandria, VA 22314
- People 55+