S.O.S. Gamers is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to bridging the gap in technology and information for lower income residents living in New York City.
We are currently seeking individuals to work with us as staff in our Youth Video Gaming League. The activities take place at the East 12th St School & Campos Plaza in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. The league provides an opportunity for youth to play video games in a safe, structured setting while acquiring valuable life skills such as teamwork, communication and sportsmanship.
We are looking for volunteers for these roles:
- Activity Specialist/Coaches - Simply put, coaches aim to ensure that while the players are having a great time playing the game, they're also actively implementing the basic fundamentals of teamwork. In some cases, we're indeed role models for our youth, so this role requires knowledge and patience and great team building skills.
- Event Staff - Our larger scale events, such as gaming tournaments, require staff with particular skill sets to ensure that they run smoothly. These roles are: Event Coordinators, Sign-in Coordinators, Tournament Organizers, Station Managers, Game Casters/Commentary, Stream Managers, Photographers/Videographers
- We are also looking for individuals to assist with our Marketing (Online and In-Person) efforts as well as Graphic Designers.
Scheduling for the COACH role is as follows:
Monday - Day Program 4:30 - 6PM, Night Program 6 - 9 PM
Tuesday - Day Program 4:30 - 6PM
Thursday - Day Program 4:30 - 6PM
Friday Day Program 1:15 - 6PM, Night Program 6 - 9 PM
Sat - All ages 10AM - 6PM
Volunteers need not be available all days, but will need to be available for an entire block of hours, i.e. Tuesday 4:30 - 6PM for the full 1.5 hours.
All event staff roles will be scheduled during the Saturday - All Ages 10am - 6PM block of time.
Marketing and Graphic Design are on an as needed basis around your schedule.
Ideal candidate requirements include:
- A familiarity with current generation video gaming equipment, in particular, the Nintendo Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Wii U.
- A high comfort level with working around children and teens ages 13
- Great social and organizational skills (facilitating small tournaments and other organized gaming activities)
- The ability to be flexible and adaptable as required
Please send an email to SOS@SOSGamers.org AND ALewisHall@SOSGamers.org and include the role(s) you're interested in as well as a resume/job/education history.
Regsitering with the our partner school through the Department of Education will be required.
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Life Coaching
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours minimum per month