West Valley Community Services (WVCS*) is looking for volunteers that are able to comfortably translate for our speaking clients. We are looking for volunteer who can translate in Farsi, Vietnamese, Spanish, Russian, Chinese (Mandarlin, Cantonese) and others. Volunteers act as a liaison during Case Managers' meeting with clients. Volunteering in this way is very helpful as it helps our Case Managers connect with a population that can be largely marginalized by their inability to navigate a very complicated, English speaking, social service system. Volunteers may also be asked to translate English documents into the requested lanuguage and vice-versa.
This volunteer position is on an "as needed" basis. If approved as a volunteer, you would most likely be contacted via phone or email with about 2 weeks notice of an upcoming appointment to see if you are available to translate.
*West Valley Community Services (WVCS) is a basic needs organization that serves people in need in the Cupertino, Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Saratoga, and West San Jose areas. The mission of WVCS is to encourage the sharing of community resources, to provide basic human needs in a caring and dignified environment, and to provide opportunities for volunteers to participate in WVCS' activities.
- People Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Once a month.
- Planting and Harvesting our...
- Food Pantry - Monday Morning
- Front Desk - Thursdays 8am-12noon
- Food Pantry - Wednesday Mornings
- Grocery Pick-up - Wednesday...
- Grocery Pick-up - Monday...
- Front Desk - Tuesdays 8am-12noon
- Website Maintence/Design
- Front Desk - Thursdays Afternoon
- Food Pantry - Friday Afternoons
- Front Desk - Tuesday Afternoons
- Fundraising/Marketing Volunteer
- Auto Technician...
- Be a Financial Coach! (English...
- Grocery Pick-up - Friday...
- Grocery Pick-up - Thursday...
- Food Pantry - Tuesday Mornings
- Food Pantry - Thursday Mornings
- Grocery Pick-up - Tuesday...