The International Volunteer Teachers (IVTs) collaborate with Malawian teachers and H.E.L.P. Malawi staff to create a superior learning environment for primary school students. They improve our students' lives, learn a new culture, contribute directly to international development, and undergo transformative personal growth. IVTs are responsible for teaching English (after-school), assisting his/her assigned co-teacher in a specific standard during the day, and evaluating and mentoring the students. They are also expected to integrate into the local culture and become community role models. IVTs will undergo an orientation upon arrival and receive continued guidance and support by the International Volunteer Coordinator (IVC). The IVTs will report to the IVC, Head Teacher and Teacher Trainer and will live and work at our core primary school. Successful applicants must have excellent communication skills, a flexible personality, experience teaching English (ESL or TEFL certified), at least two years of college education, and a great sense of humor! A commitment of at least three (3) months is required.
1. Teach ESL and other selected courses to primary school students
2. Participate in instructional tutorials by Ministry of Education and H.E.L.P. Malawi staff
3. Co-teaching the English Activity Class after school
4. Initiate secondary development projects for the school and the community.
5. Act as a positive, culturally-sensitive, responsible role model for the students
The IVT will have a shared bedroom in the International Volunteer House at H.E.L.P. Malawi's main primary school. The house has running water, a refrigerator, shower, and electricity (solar). The toilet is a private outhouse solely for the use of H.E.L.P. Malawi volunteers. IVTs must be self insured for emergency medical coverage. H.E.L.P. Malawi will cover visas and/or permit fees.
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- Three (3) months