Volunteers provide regular, on-going support to newly arrived families & individuals settling in the Portland area. Volunteers act as a mentor/guide to refugees--assisting with basic English skills, familiarizing the family with their new community (parks, grocery stores, libraries, etc) and orienting families to daily life in the US (mail, bill paying, etc.) in an effort to ensure self-sufficiency in their new home.
Additional opportunities available for volunteers to assist with cultural orientation classes, transportation and offer admin support to Case Managers. Flexible scheduling and commitment.
- Available to meet with family/individual at least 1x/week for 2 hours
- Option to meet newly arriving families at the airport
- Assist families with becoming familiar with the local community, including transportation systems, shopping, libraries, and recreational areas
- Activity suggestions will be provided
- Work with family/individual on English language skills
- Communicate with program staff/case manager regarding any issues the family may have
- Interest in learning about refugees and cross-cultural communication
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language beneficial but not required
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hrs/week
- Reception Assistant
- Refugee Kids' Homework Helper
- Set up apartments for arriving...
- Get Artsy with Low-Income Youth...
- Homework Helper for At-risk...
- Help Empower Adults to Make...
- Tutor Youth with Diverse...
- Help at-risk youth of color with...
- Help out in a preschool for...
- Assist Refugees in Resettlement