Garden & Grounds Volunteer
To help maintain the garden and grounds of the Lee-Fendall House Museum in support of its mission of preserving, maintaining, and interpreting the museum, garden, and its collection, thus serving as a community resource for the city of Alexandria.
- Sign in with the site administrator for any specific instructions. If no administrator is present, a sign in sheet and task list will be left in the privy/shed.
- Provide the following services in the garden weekly or as needed: weeding, trimming, pruning, deadheading, mowing and edging the lawn, and watering all plants and trees.
- If desired, may participate in leading educational tours or programs in the museum garden.
- Distribute museum brochures, pamphlets, or other marketing materials to garden clubs, groups, and other networking avenues.
- May NOT remove, uproot, move, transplant or otherwise disturb or allow to be disturbed any plants or trees or the layout of the historic garden without the express, written permission of site administrators.
Assistant Manager, Executive Director
Garden volunteers serve from April to October, primarily within the museum’s normal hours of operation: Wednesday through Sunday, 10-4 PM, although there is some flexibility. Occasional maintenance during the fall months may be requested.
Garden Volunteers will provide an average of 12-15 hours a month throughout the season. Regular commitment is desired. Volunteers are also encouraged to attend museum functions and regular volunteer meetings.
- Enjoy working outdoors and possess a basic knowledge of plant care and grounds-keeping.
- Knowledge of horticulture, botany, or entomology is a plus, but not required. Organic garden practices are preferred.
Guidance will be provided by the site administrators. Some gardening tools will be available for use on-site but volunteers are welcome to bring their own if desired.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free parking
- 10% off gift shop purchases
- Free admission to historic sites throughout Old Town Alexandria.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers must provide their own gardening tools.