Garden & Grounds Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
82 people are interested
The Lee-Fendall House Museum is looking for volunteers to help maintain the garden and grounds of this historic house museum located in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide the following services in the garden weekly or as needed: weeding, trimming, pruning, deadheading, mowing and edging the lawn, and watering all plants and trees.
- If desired, participate in leading educational tours or programs in the museum garden.
- Distribute museum brochures, pamphlets, or other marketing materials to garden clubs, groups, and other networking avenues.
- May NOT remove, uproot, move, transplant or otherwise disturb or allow to be disturbed any plants or trees or the layout of the historic garden without the express, written permission of museum staff.
Manager of Education & Public Programs
- Enjoy working outdoors and possess a basic knowledge of plant care and grounds-keeping.
- Knowledge of horticulture, botany, or entomology is preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of organic garden practices is preferred.
Garden volunteers serve from April to October, and can work a flexible schedule. Group work days in the garden take place regularly on Saturday mornings throughout the season. Volunteers are expected to work an average of 6-10 hours a month throughout the season. Regular commitment is desired.
Guidance and direction will be provided by the museum staff. Some gardening tools will be available for use on-site but volunteers are welcome to bring their own.
- Free on-site parking
- 10% discount in the museum shop
- Free admission to the museum and special tours.
- Free admission to many regional museums and historic sites.
We'll work with your schedule.
Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden614 Oronoco St.Alexandria, VA 22314
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6-10 hours per month.