Docent Volunteer/Museum Guide
To lead guided tours at the Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden in support of its mission of preserving, maintaining, and interpreting the museum and its collection, thus serving as a community resource for the city of Alexandria.
- Sign in daily with the on-site administrator for any specific instructions.
- Lead guided tours of the house museum.
- Ensure the safety and security of the museum and its collections during tours and programs.
- Develop knowledge of the museum and its collection in order to engage visitors in dialogue and answer questions.
- Collect and record admissions and gift shop payments.
- Attend training as scheduled by the museum staff, including regular volunteer meetings.
- Assist in event and program preparation as necessary (decorating, preparing materials, etc.)
- Provide light house-keeping duties as needed: sweeping, dusting, etc.
- Distribute museum brochures, pamphlets, or other marketing materials to garden clubs, groups, and other networking avenues.
Assistant Manager, Executive Director
Three days of training must be completed within the first month of volunteering. After that, the Docent Volunteer will provide a minimum of 6 hours a month, which may consist of a combination of half day shifts (3 hours) or full day shifts (4-6 hours). Regular commitment is desired and volunteers are encouraged to provide more than the requested minimum hours.
- Enjoy working with the public in a museum setting.
- Knowledge of American and/or Virginia history is desired, but not required.
Training and guidance will be provided by museum staff. A docent handbook which includes a history of the site and other operational materials is provided upon start date.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free parking
- 10% off gift shop purchases
- Free admission to historic sites throughout Old Town Alexandria.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 days per month.