The Docent Volunteer will help staff events at the Lee-Fendall House Museum & Garden in support of its mission of preserving, maintaining, and interpreting the museum and its collection to serve as a historic, cultural, and educational resource for the community in the city of Alexandria.
Volunteers for Lee-Fendall House Museum will provide staffing during programs and special events (non-rentals) in the museum and garden.
The Docent Volunteer:
(1) Signs in daily with the on-site administrator for any specific instructions.
(2) Leads guided tours of the house museum.
(3) Ensures the safety and security of the museum and collections during tours and programs.
(4) Possesses solid knowledge of the museum and collections in order to engage visitors and answer questions.
(5) Works with other volunteers as necessary.
(6) Attends training for events as scheduled by the Museum Assistant, including Volunteer Meetings.
(7) Assists in event and program preparation as necessary (decorating, preparing materials, etc)
(8) Provides light house-keeping duties as needed: sweeping, dusting, etc.
(9) Is encouraged to distribute museum brochures, pamphlets, or other marketing materials to garden clubs, groups, and other networking avenues.
The Docent Volunteer will report to the Museum Assistant. In the event that the Executive Director is not available, report to the Executive Director or the Docent Representative to the Board of Directors.
Length of Appointment:
The Docent Volunteer will provide volunteer staffing at no less than 1 day per month throughout the calendar year. Docent status is at-will.
The Docent Volunteer will provide a minimum of 6 hours a month, which may consist of two 3-4 hour shifts during the week or one full day shift (4-6 hours) on weekends. Regular commitment is desired whenever scheduling allows. Volunteers that are able to provide more than the requested minimum hours are encouraged to do so.
Potential volunteers must enjoy working in a house museum setting. Knowledge or background of American and/or Virginia history is desired, but not required.
Volunteers under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian during their volunteer shift.
Support and Benefits Provided:
Training and guidance will be provided by the site administrators for volunteers. A tour and history of the site will be provided upon start date. A docent handbook is provided to all volunteers desiring to give house tours. Sign-in sheets for each volunteer will be provided.
Lee-Fendall House Museum docents have access to a workstation with computer upon request and free internet access (via Wi-Fi).
All Lee-Fendall House Museum volunteers are provided with light refreshments during their shift.
All Lee-Fendall House Museum volunteers are encouraged to attend museum functions and monthly meetings.
All Lee-Fendall House Museum volunteers receive 10% off gift shop purchases, are granted free parking in the museum parking lot, and benefit from free admission to historic sites throughout Old Town Alexandria.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 2 days per month.