HOURS: 10 - 12 hours per week: Twice a week at our North Hollywood office and/or in the field.
COMPENSATION: Unpaid internship. All non-commuter miles driven will be reimbursed.
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW: Food Forward’s mission is to rescue fresh local produce that would otherwise go to waste connecting this abundance with people in need, and inspiring others to do the same. This food helps feed Southern California’s most vulnerable: be they children, homeless individuals, veterans, those with HIV/AIDS, women, low-‐income families, immigrants, or beyond. We also aim to tap into an awareness and consciousness of sustainability and community building, and to become a bright voice on Southern California’s edible landscape around food security and food justice issues
BACKYARD HARVEST PROGRAM OVERVIEW: The Backyard Harvesting Program started in 2009 in the San Fernando Valley when two volunteers harvested from a single tree and harvested over 800 pounds of tangerines. To date, we have donated over 2 million pounds to over 60 local receiving agencies in Ventura and Los Angeles Counties (with some additional work done in Santa Barbara, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties). The Backyard Harvesting Program administers a volunteer-‐based, systematized collection of produce that would otherwise go to waste from backyard fruit trees. 100% of this fruit is donated to agencies serving those in need.
POSITION OVERVIEW: We are looking for an office-based Program Assistant to assist with the Backyard Harvest Program. We are looking for someone to help with the administrative dayto-day program tasks. This person will work directly with the Backyard Harvest Program Manager and Program Coordinator. Tasks will include communicating with property owners who have fruit trees, scheduling harvesting events, and coordinating event details for each harvest. This position provides an opportunity to become deeply involved in the urban food justice community, while working for a prominent and growing nonprofit.
An ideal candidate will have:
● An interest in food justice and community building
● Strong communication skills (must be comfortable making phone calls)
● General interest in fruit trees and knowledge of Southern California geography
● Detail oriented and knowledge of data management tools (google docs, excel)
● Experience in social media and Wordpress
● A strong sense of being a team player
● 1-2 years of experience; Grad + MBA students are welcome to apply
Duties will include:
● Making phone calls and sending emails to check in with property owners
● Harvest event scheduling
● Event logistics and coordination
● Database management
● Social media
HOW TO APPLY: Please attach your current resume as a PDF and create a cover letter in the body of the email explaining your interest in the position and email to email@example.com, with the subject line reading, "Food Forward BYH Assistant-(YOUR NAME HERE)." Only the applicants who follow directions will be considered. Students earning credit are encouraged to apply.
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
- Program Management
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- 10 hours / week
- Fight Hunger at Saturday's...
- Backyard Harvest Program Assistant
- Food Forward Administrative...
- Larchmont Village Orange Pick!
- Fight Hunger at the Long Beach...
- Fight Hunger at the West...
- Giant Moorpark Fruit Glean
- Fight Hunger at Ventura's...
- Fight Hunger at the Larchmont...
- Fight Hunger at the Hollywood...
- Fight Hunger at the Culver City...
- Volunteer Driver Position
- Fight Hunger at the Studio City...
- Fight Hunger at the Brentwood...
- Santa Paula Citrus Harvest