Keep North Charleston Beautiful is looking for a group of volunteers, 10 or more, to adopt sections of the butterfly gardens through our Flowerscape Program at the Park Circle Community Center and the Northwoods Community Center. We are open to groups with less than 10 people if you are a hardworking group. Each group who adopts a section agrees to do landscape maintenence on that section one time per month. These gardens serves as educational gardens for the community, a beneficial garden for many varieties of butterflies and other wildlife. These butterfly gardens are maintained solely by volunteers and we need your help to keep these gardens beautiful for the community to enjoy.
All groups adopting the garden will get their group name added to a Flowerscape sign located in the Flowerscape butterfly garden.
Volunteer groups should be made up of ten or more members from a business, civic association, or other community group. Volunteers commit to completing landscaping tasks in the garden a minimum of three hours, once a month. This is a great opportunity for all skill levels - we will teach you anything you need to know. You will learn gardening skills will working with a team. Hours are flexible Monday-Thursday. There is no monetary commitment. The butterflies are waiting. Come help North Charleston bloom with beauty!
Volunteer group responsibilities include:
- Meet or talk to staff to review what needs to be done in the garden prior to your monthly event.
- Let KNCB staff know the date of your event at least a week prior to the event. Make sure to schedule at least (one) three hour event per month. Complete short online form about hours worked within one week after your volunteer event.
- Keep flowerbed weed-free by weeding a minimum of three hours each month. Deadhead flowers monthly and remove litter and debris as needed.
- Install weed barrier and replenish pine straw as needed. Pine straw will be provided by KNCB.
- Tools may be borrowed from KNCB if needed but must be picked up and returned to the KNCB office. They are available from Monday-Thursday between 7am and 4pm.
- We appreciate any recruitment groups can do to help us obtain other groups to adopt a section of one of the Flowerscape gardens.
If you are part of a group that is interested in becoming a Flowerscape sponsor, please contact us for more information. We may be reached by email at email@example.com, by telephone at (843) 745-1073, or through the VolunteerMatch website.
Thank you for helping to make North Charleston bloom with beauty! The butterflies are waiting.
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 3 hours/month