Safe Passage,a 501(C)3 non-profit development-focused organization, is seeking an exceptional new Tutor to join our Tutor Program team. Known in Guatemala as Camino Seguro, Safe Passage’s mission is to empower the at-risk children and families who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community by creating opportunity and fostering dignity through the power of education. Safe Passage is a secular, non-political organization.
The Organization Safe Passage provides school fees, educational reinforcement, and nutrition to children contending with extreme poverty. Today Safe Passage serves approximately 550 children and their families with an integrated program that incorporates healthy living, strong academics, life skills, creativity and fun. At Safe Passage, we believe every child should have the opportunity to receive an education. Our programs are designed so that each child gains the skills needed to obtain a stable job, to be self-sufficient and self-reliant, and to lead their families out of poverty in a dignified and permanent way. Safe Passage has more than 100 dedicated staff in Guatemala and a small office in Yarmouth, Maine. At any one time there are more than 40 volunteers from a dozen countries working in the program. Each year, as many as 20 service teams spend a week with Safe Passage, and over a thousand Guatemalan and international visitors come to observe the program. Most importantly, Safe Passage is well-known and well-respected within the community for our methodology of working with, not for, the community.
The Position:The Tutoring Program focuses on working individually with students who have low skill sets in basic math and reading, often who have fallen behind due to no falt of their own and need a little bit of special, individualized attention. Students range from 7 years old (1stgrade)-18 years old (High school). This position is located in the Educational Reinforcement Center, and will work with school age students, as well as support adult learning in our Adult Literacy Program.
The Tutor will:
- Lead and manage Tutor sessions. Teach on average eight 45 minute tutor sessions per day for our students. Create lesson plans based on an established curriculum and activities books. Coordinate involvement of classroom teacher and classroom volunteer in class Tutor activities.
- Commit to the mission and contribute to the quality and effectiveness of the Tutor program. Collaborate with the Program Coordinator in strategic planning, and in assuring program efficacy. Implement student assessments and program evaluation and provide relevant information to the Program Coordinator. Propose ideas for program improvement, and work with the Coordinator to enhance the quality of integrated programs in the spirit of empowering Safe Passage youth.
- Support adult tutoring. Tutor teachers, staff and parents one-on-one or in small groups as needed.
- Keep it fun and creative. Be innovative and creative in engaging and motivating students.
- Passion for Safe Passage’s mission, commitment to service and ability to engage children, families, staff and volunteers;
- Understanding of teaching methodologies with at-risk, low-income student populations and experience teaching these populations;
- Advanced Spanish and at least a intermediate level of English;
- Ability to explain and teach elementary, middle school and high school level mathmatics, reading and language ;
- Experience teaching one-on-one with different age groups;
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to connect across cultural and linguistic divides;
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence;
- Patience and perseverance;
- Strong organizational skills and self-direction;
- Experience living or working in Guatemala or other developing nations (preferred).
- Opportunity to work with and learn about an incredible population while gaining professional experience
- Curriculum provided
- Paid prep time
- Free day-long departmental professional development trainings once per month
- Free transportation to the project
- Lunch provided at the project, Monday-Friday
- Volunteer appreciation events
- Organizational and departmental culture of friendly, supportive relationships
- Paid sick leave
- 5 paid vacation days per 6-month period
- One month paid vacation during school break (Dec-Jan)
- Tutors are required to make a minimum of a six month commitment. A monthly housing allowance, amount dependent on education and experience, is available for Tutors who commit to six months or more.
For more information, please see www.safepassage.org. Please note: All recruitment of volunteers is handled through the Volunteers Office so please send a cover letter, resume, and completed application (found online) to email@example.com.
- Teaching / Instruction
- Math / Science Instruction
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum Six Months