What would you do if you had to leave your country, everything you understood...and had to start in a new country with new norms and expectations?
This is what a refugee encounters daily!
You are needed to assist as:
* Cultural Orientation Instructor- help newly arrived refugees learn about their new home. Topics include: hygiene; US cultural values; culture shock & stress; & their rights and responsibilities in the US
Ideal candidate: familiarity with American culture & norms; exhibit cultural & emotional sensitivity. No 2nd language is required but ability to speak Arabic, Pashtu, Burmese, Nepali, KiSwahili, Somali or French is helpful
2 hours; 2x per month
* Citizenship Tutor- help refugees prepare for English & civics exams. Topics include: American history & civics; reading; writing; speaking. Help students learn vocabulary, review questions and understand the material.
1-2 hours weekly in late afternoon
* ESL tutor/ classroom aide- help teach ESL to classroom of recent refugees; or assist in the classroom. Weekdays between 9 am and 4 pm.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Bring love & joy to a senior in...
- Have a heart for the disabled? ...
- Enjoy children? Be a lunch room...
- Teach new families about the US!
- Help others search for jobs!
- Have a heart for those with...
- Experienced tradesman needed!
- Brighten a resident's day!
- Ensure families receive food!
- Refugees need your help!
- First generation college...
- Retail therapy lovers wanted!
- Do you have a green thumb? Be...
- Become a friend to an inmate
- Help students succeed!
- Be a friend to a HS student- be...
- Help a student succeed in...
- Feed growing teens!
- Cancer patients need your help!
- Prepare others for a 1st...