Warm-up your spirit fingers, lace up your sneakers and inspire a group of girls to be strong and healthy. We are looking for enthusiastic people who want to be positive role models and are committed to developing and celebrating youth.
Position Summary: Coaches are volunteers who work in teams of three to facilitate the Girls on the Run curriculum to program participants (girls in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade). Coaches co-lead practice for their team of 12-16 girls twice a week for 10 weeks, with each session lasting 75 minutes. You should anticipate a time commitment of 5 hours per week, with additional time required for coach training and the culminating Girls on the Run 5K.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend one full 1-day coach training before the start of program (Saturday 8/26 in San Francisco, Sunday 8/27 in San Francisco, Saturday 9/9 in Berkeley, Sunday 9/10 in Berkeley) and a weekday evening mid-season meeting
- Make time with your co-coaches to prepare ahead for each lesson in our curriculum
- Model effective communication, problem-solving, and conflict negotiation skills
- Facilitate each of the 20 lessons in an engaging and nurturing manner
- Interact with parents as needed
- Coordinate a group community service project
- Attend the end-of-season Girls on the Run 5K with your team (Sunday December 3rd, 2017)
- Inspire and motivate others to believe in the Girls on the Run mission
- Awareness of the developmental and social needs of girls
- Experience working directly with youth (preferred, not mandatory)
- Does not have to identify as a runner, though you must be willing to jump in and train for the 5k alongside the girls!
- Men and women encouraged to apply
- Child Development
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training