Do you have a knack for storytelling? Do you have experience with education or public history? The Heurich House Museum is currently recruiting qualified volunteers to train as museum docents.
The Heurich House Museum requires that volunteer docents commit to leading tours at least twice a month (including one Saturday per month), as well as assist at special events hosted at the museum. Docent training must be completed within six weeks of attending a docent training session. These sessions are held two to three times during the year. After completing the docent training session, you will be responsible for developing a cohesive and entertaining tour of the Heurich House Museum (within the parameters set forth in the training manual). Your training will also require you to shadow at least two tours of the house after attending the docent training session.
Once you have completed these training requirements you will give a practice tour to museum staff members who will assess your tour and provide you with feedback. You may begin giving tours after you complete your training requirements and give a successful practice tour.
Continuing education opportunities include access to the library and archives, docent training events, and enrichment events at the Heurich House. We encourage you to pursue additional research on subjects of your interest.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Welcoming guests.
- Ensuring that guests adhere to the rules of the house: leaving coats and bags in the front closet, no crossing behind ropes, no touching objects or walls, no talking on their cell phone.
- Managing unforeseen issues that arise with visitors.
- Providing support at special events in addition to regularly scheduled tours.
- Discounted or free admission to partner organizations.
- Discounted or free admission to public events hosted at the Heurich House.
- Volunteer appreciation events.
For more information or to submit an application, please visit: http://www.heurichhouse.org/support/volunteer.
- General Education
- Public Speaking
- People Skills
- Theater Arts
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours per month