Position Title: Escort to St. Gregory’s Catholic Church
Program/Department: The Hartwell
Reports To: Administrator of Dementia Services, Janette Foley
The primary purpose of your position is to provide compassionate companionship as you escort residents from their apartments to mass and special events at St. Gregory’s Catholic Church. You will assist with transporting by pushing wheelchairs and providing assistance with meeting the needs of the residents during their time at mass and/or special events. The Hartwell is within walking distance to St. Gregory’s Catholic Church. The transporting will not require the usage of a car.
Responsible To: Administrator of Dementia Services, Janette Foley
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Interrelationships: Residents/Clients/Tenants, Families, Co-Workers, Vendors, Visitors
TIME REQUIRED: Assistance is needed with escorting residents to the 10:30 a.m. masses on Sundays. Volunteers for this position will need to arrive at The Hartwell no later than 10:00 a.m. to begin transporting. The mass should conclude at 11:30 a.m.; the volunteer service time should conclude by 12:00 p.m. Check with the administrator about opportunities to assist with transporting to upcoming special events being held at St. Gregory’s Catholic Church.
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: Sporadic commitments are accepted. Weekly and monthly commitments are appreciated.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Consistently promotes interactions and activity that reflect the Mission and Values of the organization while consistently demonstrating and ensuring person centered customer service.
- Engage the patient in friendly conversation as you escort him/her.
- Push individuals of varying weights in wheelchairs.
- Schedule volunteer commitment in advance with the Administrator of Dementia Services.
- Log volunteer time by signing in and out on the Volunteer Log Sheet.
- Compliance and understanding of HIPAA laws.
- Performs similar and other duties as assigned.
ATTENDANCE AND WORK HABITS:
Is dependable and reliable when scheduled to work as evidenced by infrequent use of sick time, absent time and lateness. Follows dress code and practices principles of good health and hygiene. Illustrates positive attitude and good work habits as evidenced by effective communication, teamwork, quality of work and care, initiative, cooperation and adherence to all policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity to the needs of older adults
- Ability to push individuals of various weights wheelchairs
- Familiarity with how a wheelchair functions
- Excellent listening skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong aptitude for written and verbal correspondence
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language
- Interest in serving seniors and compassion for this population
- Experience working with elderly population is desirable, but not required
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience with older adults is preferred, but not required.
SAFETY & EDUCATION
Attends all mandatory training. Completes drug test and background check. Knowledgeable of the emergency codes and understands and observes safety rules. Maintain clean and safe work area.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
When physical requirements are not essential job functions, reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities.
- Occasionally required to stand and walk continuously
- Ability to see, hear and speak continuously at a level to meet all essential functions of the job
- Activities required include occasional stooping, bending, reaching, occasional kneeling and squatting
- Physical work is of heavy demand with frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 60lbs.
- Work is of high attention and mental demands including the ability to prioritize and process with accuracy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment