The Violence Intervention Program is a non-profit, hospital-based program located at the LAC USC Medical Center in East Los Angeles. Their mission is to protect and treat all victims of violence.
Project Description: The VIP program offers our child clients (8-18 years) with a big brother/big sister to engage in fun activities and have a positive role model in their lives.
Volunteer Role & Responsibilities: Volunteers serve as mentors to the kids in our program providing them with opportunities and inspiration to lead healthy and productive lives. Mentors participate in community based outings twice a month with their mentees. All mentors should be of good character and provide mentees with a postitive role model to look up to.
Time Commitment: A minimum of up to 1 year commitment, calling the mentee once per week to check in and taking the mentee out twice per month on a given activity . VIP reimburses for all mentor/mentee activities.
- Volunteers must be at least 21 years old
- Have a valid drivers license
- Must be Live Scanned for fingerprints through the DOJ/FBI (VIP will conduct the check for volunteers)
- Must take and pass a Drug Test
- Show proof of clear TB test within last 6 months
- Volunteers must be reliable, responsible and trustworthy
Benefits: Mentoring a child victim of abuse into a trustworthy and responsible and caring relationship, knowing you have perhaps changed the quality of this child’s life forever and given him/her hope and confidence to move forward in life.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2 days per month, on either Saturdays or Sundays