Portland Fruit Tree Project 2016 Volunteer Opportunity:
Become a Harvest Leader!
Join Portland Fruit Tree Project in preventing waste, building community, and making fresh fruit available to neighbors in need...What is a Harvest Leader?
Harvest Leaders co-lead harvesting events! These events bring people together to harvest fruit that might otherwise go to waste, and make it available to people in need. Each harvesting event is led by 2 volunteer Harvest Leaders. They keep the event moving! As Harvest a Leader you will have the opportunity to grow or improve skills in team-building, public speaking, time management, multi-tasking, working with diverse groups, group facilitation, and community-building!
PFTP will give you all of the training, materials, and support you need to be a Harvest Leader.
"I love leading groups of enthusiastic, compassionate and caring volunteers to bring healthy food to those in need. Every time I volunteer with PFTP I go home with a skip to my step, feeling really, really good about what I was just a part of. It's about the best volunteering experience I've ever had."
- Suzanne, 2013 & 2014 Harvest LeaderWhat do Harvest Leaders Do?
- Come to the Harvest Leader training (Thursday, June 16 th, 5pm - 9pm, or Saturday, June 18th, 10am-4pm) If you cannot come to one of these trainings, we may be able to find another time. If having child care would help you attend, please let us know.
- Co-lead at least 5 harvesting events in the 2016 Harvest Season (June-November)
- Lead harvest participants through introductions, and a short demonstration on safety and different ways to pick fruit.
- Drive 50% of harvested fruit to a local food pantry (we provide a vehicle).
- Keep clear event notes and give them to PFTP staff right after events.
- Come to our mid-season Harvest Leader meeting (Mon Aug 15 th 6pm - 7:30pm)
- Answer a Harvest Leader survey at the end of the season (December)
- Celebrate! Come to our annual volunteer appreciation event in December 2016 (optional).
Join our Harvest Leader Team!
Ask for our simple application by calling 503-284-6106, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with 'Harvest Leader Application Request' in the subject line. We'll send you one right away.
Applications are due Tuesday, June 7 th.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training