Human Rights Intern or Volunteer
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where256 S. Occidental BlvdLos Angeles, CA 90057
The Center for Human Rights and Constitutional Law (CHRCL) is a Los Angeles non-profit organization that focuses its work on the civil and human rights of insular minorities and vulnerable communities.
CHRCL is currently seeking volunteers and interns who are committed to creating significant social change in advocating for human rights. We have several projects that volunteers and interns may play a significant role in.
- Immigration Cases: A few years ago CHRCL settled a nation-wide class action lawsuit with the Government allowing undocumented immigrants who have resided in the U.S. for over 30 years to apply for amnesty under a 1987 law. Approximately 100,000 class members applied for legalization under the settlement but most have been denied status. Volunteers are needed to help identify denied class members with strong cases so that we can bring a contempt of court motion and try to force the Government to reprocess all denied applicants.
- Prisoners in Solitary Confinement: The CHRCL has filed a United Nations petition arguing that the placement of thousands of California prisoners in solitary confinement amounts to torture and violates international law. Volunteers are needed to review prisoner cases, draft responses to letters from prisoners, and research the effects of solitary confinement on prisoners.
- Casa Libre Support: CHRCL founded a home for immigrant homeless youth. The home also provides a safe haven for children whose parents have been deported. Volunteers are needed to provide general support for the home, assist with fundraising efforts, tutoring, art and music programs for residents, and accompanying residents to medical and other appointments.
- CHRCL Tech Support: You can assist us with our social media presence, database maintenance and website development.
- CHRCL General Support: You can assist us with our daily operations so we can increase our level of support for vulnerable communities. Volunteers are needed for office duties, research, fundraising efforts, and a variety of ad hoc projects.
CHRCL understands that volunteering is a combination of desire and availability. This is why we have tailored our volunteer opportunities to be significant, valuable and flexible. Some of our projects can be done remotely, and on your schedule, all we ask is you contact us so we can find the best opportunity for you to make a change.
If interested, please email Volunteer Coordinator: email@example.com
- Project Management
- Critical Thinking
- Youth Services
- Professional Development
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment