CBSBB’s mentoring program enables young people to expand their horizons, their hopes and their dreams. It helps inspire them to improve academic performance and reduce risky behavior, which ultimately leads to stable health, strong personal relationships and gainful employment.
You should know that research has proven that CBSBB’s integration of mentoring, family counseling and skill building ensures that our mentoring relationships are healthier and last longer than the national average.
CBSBB’s target populations are children from first generation, low-income communities. Many of the families we work with are overwhelmed by multiple stressors. Poverty, a shortage of skills and a lack of exposure to opportunities are some of the issues our mentees face every day. These children are eager to expand their horizons and having a mentor can be the difference between their current reality and a successful future. You can be that difference!
- Maintain a one-to-one match relationship between yourself as the Big Sister/Brother (mentor) and your Little (mentee) while respecting the family system
- Serve as a positive role model and friend while helping your mentee to set and accomplish goals
- Build the match relationship by planning and participating in activities together
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be interested in working with a young girl or boy between the ages of 10-18
- Be willing to finance all match outings (outings need not be expensive)
- If child doesn’t travel alone, be responsible for picking up or dropping of your Little Sister/Brother
- Mentors must meet fact-to-face with their mentees for 8 hours each month and go on outings with their mentee. Typically matches meet twice a month, for an average of 4 hours each, usually on weekends, for a minimum of one year
- Mentors are responsible for maintaining communication with their mentee in between outings by setting up a weekly call night to help build their match relationship
- Matches must attend at least one skill learning program workshop series per year
Visit www.cbsbb.org/volunteers or call us at 212 475-3291 x502.
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- At least 8 hours a month for a minimum of 1 year
- A weekly check-in via phone with your mentee