Cape Fear River Watch Internship, USA
An environmental internship opportunity for environmental science students to work towards protecting and improving the water quality of the Lower Cape Fear River Basin in Wilmington, North Carolina, USA, through environmental education, advocacy and action
We have places for 6 environmental interns to join the Cape Fear River Watch; a non-profit organisation. Over a period of 3 months interns will be able to take part in the following projects:
- Greenfield Lake Eco-Tours - environmental interns will be trained to take visitors out on ecotours on the lake, and identify to wetland birds and trees to the visitors on boats.
- Enviroscape Programme - environmental interns will give presentations on cleanups and water quality monitoring alongside environmental leaders in Wilmington.
- Paddle Series - environmental interns will paddle a different stretch of the region's diverse waterways every month. The Cape Fear River watershed is a paddler's paradise with stretches of water for nearly every taste.
- Water Quality Monitoring - environmental interns will carry out water quality monitoring alongside Professors and scientists from the University of North Carolina.
- Rain Garden Education and Maintenance - building and maintenance of the rain garden.
- River Semester - environmental interns can help to design and then conduct a summer programme with students.
- Camp site maintenance - the camp is only accessed by water, interns will have to paddle to the campsite to carry out maintenance if necessary.
- Office renovation and assistance
- River Cleanups - mostly done on canoes and kayaks.
This is a great opportunity for those who are either students taking a year out, or who have graduated in the domains of environmental science, or ecology. As an intern you will gain lots of field experience. No specific skills are needed, but those with previous experience of manual conservation work, trail work, gardening, river restoration etc. would be particularly useful. You should be over the age of 20 and capable of working in all conditions in a hot climate.