JOB TITLE: Aging Services Intern (Masters/graduate level placement)
REPORTS TO: Aging Services Committee, Field Supervisor
DAYS NEEDED: 3 Days a week; Must be available Friday & Saturday 10am-2pm
COMMITMENT: September 1 to May 15
HOURS: 9am - 5pm, with some flexibility
This position will be responsible for providing case management to a caseload of 6-10 older adult clients, focused on assisting them with managing health, connecting with specialty care, obtaining benefits, and securing other resources necessary to help patient maintain health as independently as possible. This position will also help facilitate two groups: Aging As We Are, a social lunch group for LGBTQ adults 55 and older and The Journey Continues, a therapeutic support group for LGBTQ adults 50 and older.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities*:
- Identify, enroll, and manage a 6-10 older LGBTQ adults
- Provide client-centered, strengths-based case management that fosters independence and self-sufficiency
- Consult with an interdisciplinary care team and external specialists to ensure continuity and quality of care
- Provide education and other supportive services to assist clients in managing health
- Manage resources, coordinate activities, facilitate communication, and provide miscellaneous support for the Aging As We Are Group
- Assist participants in The Journey Continues in exploring issues important to them by engaging their peers and fostering a sense of mutual support in a safe environment.
- Assist with screening, enrollment, and data gathering for The Journey Continues group.
- Attend Aging Committee Meetings twice a month, with opportunities to present on group activities, provide input on committee projects, and assist with development of cohesive aging services program.
- Attend supervision weekly with Field Supervisor for general supervision and Task Supervisor for supervision related to The Journey Continues; attend weekly consultation groups
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Howard Brown Health Center is a fast-paced, casual, pleasant working environment. Schedule is pre-established.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A client-centered, strengths-based approach informed by feminist and queer theory
- Strong sense of self-direction and initiative with good time management skills, able to work individually and as part of interdisciplinary team
- Experience and/or a desire to work with diverse LGBTQ populations as well as older adults
- Experience facilitating and/or coordinating psychosocial and therapeutic groups
- An ability to accurately and efficient document case management and group activity per program requirements and in compliance with HIPAA regulations.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Decisions and criteria governing the volunteer relationship with all volunteers at Howard Brown are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
- Counseling / Mental Health
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- about 24 hours a week from September to May
- must be enrolled in a Masters of Social Work 2nd year preferred, MPH candidates considered