BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Immigration Program Volunteer will assist the immigration team with various immigration services, including assisting immigrant members of the community to complete citizenship and green card applications.
COMMITMENT: Volunteers have the opportunity to work Monday through Friday, for a minimum of 3-4 months, between the hours of 9am - 5pm
- Assist the immigration team with administrative tasks, including but not limited to: copying, filing, labeling, and follow up with clients.
- Help clients with initial intake and application for naturalization.
- Notify clients of USCIS interviews and ensure they have the required documents complete and available for the interview.
- Fluency in one of the following languages strongly preferred: Arabic, Armenian, Farsi and Spanish
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with refugees and asylees
- Ability to work well with a culturally diverse staff
This position reports to the Immigration Coordinator.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to Rameena Rahman, Volunteer Coordinator: Rameena.Rahman@rescue.org
- Immigration Law
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5 hours per week, a minimum commitment of 3 months