The position will directly assist newly arriving refugee families with acclimating to their new lives in the US. The role of this position will vary, however the focus will be in two specific areas:
- Basic, hands-on, small group Instruction within the ongoing Sewing Program with refugee women to help them develop basic skills, learn about machines, and develop quality products that can either be personally kept or created for sales.
- "Lead" instructor and "troubleshooter" for the new "Renew & Recycle by Refugee Women" banner bag program - a program where we will teach women to sew on commercial oriented machines and create products from canvas banners to sell. These products may be tote bags, lunch bags, computer sleeves, etc.
Applicants should be self-motivated as much of this position will be completed with minimal supervision. Applicants should be comfortable working in a multi-cultural environment and communicating with people with limited English skills. The instructor must speak English and other language knowledge is a plus.
- This position is very part -time (10 -12 hours per week at $10.00 per hour). If you have a BIG heart, and would like a little extra money, this position is for you!
- Strongest skill needed is flexibility. Many women do not speak English, so teaching is often 1:1 or 1:4 tutoring on very basic skills (straight stitching/ cutting/ ironing seams, etc.)
- Knowledge of, and ability to teach, sewing is important. At this time, we do not plan to expand into any other craft areas.
- We work mostly with other volunteer instructors, so it is important that you are comfortable with volunteers who may have more/less sewing skills than you do....but have a passion for helping.
- Attendance by participants is spotty....so, you may come to teach, and that day we have no participants, so you would be free to leave.
- We have curriculum and thus this role is the teaching...we are seeking an instructor who enjoys the 1:1 with clients. The role is not managing the program or the volunteers.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact Michele Eckert, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 602-248-4400, ext. 107.
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 12 hours per week