VOLUNTEER POSITION: Computer Class Assistant Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: HealthRIGHT 360 Resource Center
COMMITMENT: 3 hours per week for at least 3 to 4 months every Monday from 1-4pm.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Computer Class Assistant will assist the full-time Computer Lab Instructor during a weekly computer class/workshop on Mondays from 1-4pm. Class sizes generally range from 8-12 people and include clients from a wide spectrum of abilities, from highly proficient to no computer experience at all. The Computer Class Assistant will help clients one-on-one while the Instructor facilitates and teaches the curriculum. Certain portions of the class are self-directed, whereas others require following along with the Instructor. In addition, some clients, because of their advanced level, may be working independently on other activities.
DESIRED SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL QUALITIES:
- Extremely patient and able to tutor clients individually in a group setting
- Able to make sure that clients are following along with the lesson
- Answering individual clients’ basic computer questions, e.g., Internet, email, Craigslist, Microsoft Word
- Providing help with other class-related activities dependent on your skills and interest
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and listening skills
- Able to role model professional behavior and maintain professional boundaries
- Interest in working with diverse, disadvantaged populations including low literacy, learning disabilities, physical disabilities and impaired cognitive functioning
- Able to maintain client confidentiality
- A background or interest in education is a plus but not required
TRAINING AND SUPERVISION:
You will be given a volunteer orientation and you will have the opportunity to observe the Wednesday computer class/workshop and become familiar with the Computer Class Assistant role. If you find that the position is a good fit, you will then begin assisting the class every week and working closely with the Computer Lab Instructor. In addition, as a valuable asset to our team, we as Resource Center staff are always available to you if you have questions or concerns.
- People Skills
- Basic Computer Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 20