Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Hand Up Food Pantry believes in helping clients reach self-sufficiency by providing a 'hand up’ not just a hand out to clients experiencing food-insecurity. They accomplish this by connecting clients to resources in addition to providing emergency food relief to 800 families each month at distributions through San Diego County. In the past year, the Hand Up Food Pantry has provided 8,969 clients with 310,000 meals.
Goal of Position:
Our monthly St. Paul’s Distribution sees a wide diversity of people who are in need of food assistance. We serve a large population of Mandarin speaking people with whom we often have trouble communicating. These volunteer would help us with translation, communicating important information, and clarifying distribution details.
- Gain nonprofit experience
- Directly service people in need of emergency food assistance
- Learn valuable interpersonal and conflict management skills
- Help the Hand Up Food Pantry assist a larger group of people with food assistance and case management
- Help clients understand intake forms
- Translates relevant forms from English to Mandarin, Spanish, or Tagolog
- Communicate information from Pantry Staff to relevant clientele, including schedule changes and finding out about client food needs
- Proficient in spoken and written English and Mandarin, Spanish, or Tagolog
- Should be comfortable interacting with many different people in a span of two hours
- Must be a strong communicator
- Must be very patient and empathetic with clientele
- Comfortable working with diverse populations and must possess multicultural sensitivity
- Must be able to provide own transportation to the distribution site
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Should commit to coming to a distribution at least once per month.
Once a month from 12:45pm-3:15pm on a Thursday
St. Paul’s Cathedral, 2728 6th Avenue,
San Diego, CA 92103
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Elder care
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Crisis Intervention
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Sign up online www.jfssd.org/handupapp
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Table Captain- Balboa Ave Older...
- Development Administrative...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Citizenship Instructor
- Kitchen Aide
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Camp Pendleton Military...
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Fresh Market Distribution...
- Newsletter Production Volunteer
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Receptionist Assistant
- Performer/Entertainer for Older...
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...
- Public Transportation Navigator