The Hand Up Youth Food Pantry of JFS is responsible for helping members of the community get back on their feet by providing emergency food assistance and other resources. In the past year, the Hand Up Youth Food Pantry has provided 8,975 people with 33,887 food bags totaling more than 208,664 pounds of food to hungry people.
Goal of Position:
The Hand Up Youth Food Pantry has opened a new client shopping area, the Corner Market, at our offices in Kearny Mesa. At the Corner Market, clients can shop for their own groceries, including fresh produce, meat, bread, and nonperishables. Volunteers are needed to assist clients as they shop, answer questions about the shopping process, provide information on healthy provide choices, and to check out groceries.
Food is distributed once a month at St. Paul’s Cathedral downtown, once a month at Camp Pendleton and Murphy Canyon Military Housing, and as needed to our clients at various JFS locations and at offices in Kearny Mesa.
* Gain valuable nonprofit experience
* Learn about food insecurity and hunger in your community
* Provide food with a smile to those who we serve
* The knowledge that you made a difference in the lives of hundreds of families and individuals
* Food Bag Distributor (2): Directly gives bags of non-perishables to people waiting in line while ensuring line order. Requires standing, lifting, speaking, and bending.
* Produce Bagger (2-4): Portions out produce into individual bags from large bulk containers while wearing rubber gloves. Requires standing, bending, reaching, and lifting on uneven surfaces. Physically demanding.
* Bread Bagger (2-4): Re-packages donated bread into food-safe bags while wearing rubber gloves. Requires standing and reaching.
* Line Monitor (2): Ensures that the line moves quickly and smoothly while handing out product. Requires standing and speaking.
* Be compassionate, friendly, caring, and patient with the individuals and families served
* Be willing to gain a strong understanding of the Food Pantry Program and other Jewish Family Service programs
* Be able to lift bins and boxes up to 25 pounds
* Complete a confidentiality waiver
* Wear closed-toed shoes and comfortable clothing that can get dirty
1. Must be able to provide own transportation to the St. Paul’s Cathedral
2. Must be a minimum of 12 years of age (Parental accompaniment strong advised)
3. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/handupapp
St. Paul’s Cathedral 2728 6th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92103 *Park in St. Paul’s Cathedral parking lot in back.
Immediate Supervisor: Hand Up Youth Food Pantry Distribution Specialist; Hand Up Youth Food Pantry Program Assistant
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Elder care
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- Crisis Intervention
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Sign up online www.jfssd.org/handupapp
- Musical Entertainers Needed!
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Experience Career and Employment...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- St. Paul's Cathedral: Help...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give a Ride and a Smile: Older...
- Community Presenter Wanted!...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Nutrition Server: Help Serve...
- Camp Pendleton & Murphy Canyon:...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Home Not Alone: Help an Older...
- Nonprofit Reception Support...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant