Board of Directors Member- United Against Poverty Orlando
"To provide a hand up for those in need, helping them to break free from poverty by offering hunger relief, crisis care, transformative education, and employment training opportunities."
In 2001 Scott George had a sudden realization as he drove home through some of the most impoverished neighborhoods in Orlando. This inspired him to really do something, to help break the cycle of poverty, provide hope to those that struggle and elevate the foundation of his community. Pastor Scott and his wife Tammi put everything they had into making that vision a reality and the Destiny Foundation was born.
Meanwhile, Austin Hunt and his wife Ginny were experiencing their own journey of faith. Both Austin and Ginny had experienced the realities of growing up in homes that struggled financially. It was this journey through life’s challenges that gave them the passion to help those needing a compassionate hand to guide them to a future of hope and stability. And so, in 2003 the Hunt’s founded Harvest Food & Outreach Center in the Treasure Coast of Florida.
In the Fall of 2009, Austin and Scott joined forces in an effort to provide more services to a greater number of families, children and individuals struggling under the pressure of the recent economic firestorm. In October 2009 with the support of parent entity, Kingdom Harvest, Scott George founded a new organization, Community Food & Outreach Center, to provide education, food and hope in central Florida. In the beginning of 2016, we changed our name to fully encompass all of the programs that we offer. So we are now United Against Poverty.
The Role of a Community Board Member for Community Food & Outreach Center
As volunteer leaders, board members for Community Food & Outreach Center (CFOC)play a critical role in the success of the organization.
Members of the Board of Directors for CFOC have significant ethical and philosophical responsibilities to their constituents, staff and community members. Strong and knowledgeable volunteer leaders will better Community Food & Outreach Center to augment its credibility and provide programs to achieve its mission to break the cycle of poverty.
Board Member Roles and Responsibilities:
- Understand and ensure the fulfillment of the mission and the purpose of the organization.
- Enhance the public standing of the organization.
- Ensure adequate resources to achieve the organization’s mission.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer to further the organization’s goals.
- Ensure adherence to legal standards and ethical norms.
- Ensure effective organizational planning and resource management.
- Recruit and orient new community board members and assess the board’s performance.
Board Terms and Participation
Members must attend and participate in at least seven (7) of the 12 monthly board meetings, either in person or via conference call to maintain awareness of the organization’s activities. The CFOC Board of Directors meet the third Wednesday of each month from 8 a.m.-10 a.m.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Community Food & Outreach Center’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected board members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector.
- A commitment to and understanding of Community Food & Outreach Center’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience.
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Community Food & Outreach Center’s beneficiaries.
This is an unpaid board position.
How to Apply
If you are interested and want to learn more about the Community Food & Outreach Center’s Board of Directors position, please send a brief statement of interest and resume to Eric Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Help Provide Dignity to Central...
- Do you have leadership skills?...
- Lead Volunteers! Become a...
- Food Donations Driver
- Use your skills to help the UP...
- LEAP Program Teachers Change Lives
- Food Pantry-- Great for Groups!
- Saturday Service- Great for...
- Educate those in Poverty
- Help us put an end to poverty in...
- Member Services Volunteer
- Help Provide Food & Hope to...
- Become a part of United Against...
- Join the Orlando Up Center's...