Join the leadership of Words Beats & Life, a hip-hop non-profit in Washington, D.C. The Board of Directors in the governing body of the organization and works with the staff to set priorities for each fiscal year, approves the annual budget and helps meet our fundraising goals for the year. Skills listed below are ideal, and in the best case a prospect board member should have at least one of them.
PRINICPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Attends in person and phone board meetings and important related meetings.
2. Participate in planning committee for Remixing the Art of Social Change, our annual Teach-In.
3. Review organization financials and programmatic updated on a quarterly basis.
4. Participate in two fundraising campaigns a year, one of which involves the use of your own social media.
5. Participate in the annual review of the Executive Director
6. Share the work of WBL on your social media.
You agree that you will minimally
Promote the mission of WBL in my personal and professional life
Represent WBL to my friends and the public at large
Commit at least two years to the Board of Directors
Actively recruit potential board members
Play a role in actively fund raising
Attend at least 75% of board meetings, which happen every three months
Play an active role in one sub-committee
Make a minimal annual personal contribution to WBL in the amount of $750, and work to raise $5,000
Agree to participate in virtual and in person training that will make me a more effective board member
Accept moral, legal and financial responsibility for WBL Inc.
Reply to all e-mails that require a response, and all phone calls that need a response within 48 hours
Be on time for meeting and if I am unable to attend a meeting, call the Chair 24 hours in advance to notify him or her.
Ideal Candidates have the following Careers:
- Architect/Construction Company
- High School Principal
- Special Event Planning
- Program Evaluator
- Law Firm (4 th Year or Jr. Par)
- Bankers (business development officer)
- Boy and Girls Club
- Marketing (Advertising Firm)
- University Dean
- Media (TV, Radio and Print)
- 2 Youth alum/member
- Parent of Alum of WBL
- Kennedy Center
- Former Foundation Program Officer
- Manager at national retail chain (Target, Best Buy)
- Manager at National hotel chain
- Manager at national grocery store (Whole foods, trader joes)
- Hip-Hop based Corporate employee (in visual arts and music)
- Executive Office of Mayor (DC)
- Member of the diplomatic core of embassy
- Airline (Continental, Southwest, American)
- Bus Company (Gray hound)
- Strategic Planning
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Reporting & Dashboards
- Financial Planning
- Market Research
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 7-10 hours per month
- Be Dope!