Join the leadership of Words Beats & Life, a hip-hop non-profit in Washington, D.C. The Board of Directors in the governing body of the organization and works with the staff to set priorities for each fiscal year, approves the annual budget and helps meet our fundraising goals for the year. We have been fortunate enough to always have a diverse board in terms of income, ages, gender, and cultural identity. We expect that to remain true as we continue to recruit new board members. We place value continuing to diversify our board around things like education, ability status, orientation, religious identity, country of origin, being a Hip-Hop artist (all the elements), and city of residence.
PRINICPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Attends in person and phone board meetings.
2. Participate in planning committee for Words Beats & Life Festival.
3. Review, revise, and approve organization financials and programmatic updated on a quarterly basis.
4. Participate in either one fundraising campaigns a year, or a corporate sponsorship committee for our annual festival.
5. Participate in the annual review of the Executive Director
6. Share the work of WBL on your social media, traditional media and at WBL events.
You agree that you will:
Promote the mission of WBL in my personal and professional life
Represent WBL to your friends and the public at large
Commit at least two years to the Board of Directors
Actively recruit potential Board Members
Play a role in actively fund raising
Attend at least 75% of board meetings, which happen every three months
Play an active role in one sub-committee
Make a minimal annual personal contribution to WBL in the amount of $750, and work to raise $3,000-$5,000
Agree to participate in virtual and in person training that will make you a more effective board member
Accept moral, legal and financial responsibility for WBL Inc.
Play the governance role of monitoring and contributing to the WBL Strategic Plan
Ideal Candidates have the following Careers:
Law Firm (4th Year or Jr. Partner)
Banker (business development officer)
Special Event Planning
Media (TV, Radio and Print)
Human Resources Expert
- Strategic Planning
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Reporting & Dashboards
- Financial Planning
- Market Research
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours per month
- BE Fresh!