The 2018 hurricane season has been extraordinarily active in parts of the U.S., with Hurricane Florence currently impacting millions in the Carolinas. As this natural disaster unfolds, the staff here at VolunteerMatch is doing its part to ensure that, if you are in an affected community, you are prepared and safe. And if you are looking to help with disaster relief efforts, you know about the most effective ways to contribute.
St Stephens Church1525 Newton St NWWashington, DC20010
Join the leadership of Words Beats & Life, a hip-hop non-profit in Washington, D.C. The Board of Directors is the governing body of the organization and works with the staff to set priorities for each fiscal year, approves the annual budget and helps meet our fundraising goals for the year. We have been fortunate enough to always have a diverse board in terms of income, ages, gender, and cultural identity. We expect that to remain true as we continue to recruit new board members. We place value on continuing to diversify our board around things like education, ability status, orientation, religious identity, country of origin, being a Hip-Hop artist (all the elements), and state of residence. (in DC, MD, VA)
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Attend 4 in person meetings and two in person retreats per year. There are optional monthly calls in the other 6 months a year.
2. Participate in one Board committee exclusively (Governance, On boarding, Technology, Social, Capital Campaign). and one committed of the whole (Fundraising)
3. Review, revise, and approve organization financials and programmatic updated on a quarterly basis.
4. Participate in one fundraising campaigns a year. (Do more 24, Give the Gift of Hip-Hop or a Dollar and a Dream)
5. Participate in the semi-annual review of the Executive Director
6. Participate in an annual review of yourself as a Board Member and the other Board Members
7. Share the work of WBL on your social media, traditional media and at WBL events.
GIVE or GET: Each board member is required to contribute $3,000 either through personal donation or fundraising
Promote the mission of WBL in my personal and professional life
Commit at least two years to the Board of Directors
Attend at least 75% of board meetings, which happen every three months
Agree to participate annually in a virtual or in-person training that will make you a more effective Board Member
Accept moral, legal and financial responsibility for WBL Inc.
Play the governance role of monitoring and contributing to the WBL Strategic Plan
How to Apply:
Submit your resume, cover letter, short bio and headshot to Esther D. Coleman (email@example.com). If your experience and skills aligns with our board recruitment priorities, you will be invited to participate in a two to three month long process that allows you to get to know WBL, the work we do, and the people that do it. The length of the process is determined by where we are in our process when you apply.
The process is designed to let us get to know you and see the kind of leader you would be on our Board of Directors. Our Board is a Governing and Fundraising Board with periodic projects or events that members are encouraged to volunteer at. Participating in events is one of the best way for you to get to know the work we do and the people that do it, so during this two to three month process, you are strongly encouraged to attend as many events and service opportunities as possible to meet as many people involved with WBL as you can.