We're sorry, this opportunity is no longer active.
Please find other opportunities.Find Opportunities
69 people are interested
Words Beats & Life Board Member
ORGANIZATION: words, beats & life
Please visit the new page to apply.
69 people are interested
Only Applicants from DC, MD and VA should apply for this 3rd round of applicants. Applicants responding will be consider for the SPRING co-hort. We are looking for 3 candidates with previous Board expierence.
This is your invite to join the leadership of Words Beats & Life, a hip-hop non profit founded in 2002. The Board of Directors is the governing body of the non-profit organization and works with the staff to set priorities for each fiscal year, approves the annual budget and helps meet our fundraising goals for the year. The Board acts on behalf of the public to insure that members of the staff are not abusing or misusing our status as a tax-exempt business of the United States. New Board members are being recruited to expand our reach, advance our mission and ensure that our desired impacts are being realized, tracked and shared with the general public. At this time, the Board is a working board, and members are expected to not only join committees but to be productive partners in the forward movement of the organization. We are building a national board, and eventually when we return to meeting in person, out of state members will be required to attend atleast two meeting per year in person. With that being said, natioanl members should either be able ot afford to fly or drive to Washignton D.C. for in person meetings.
PRINICPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
General Board Member
1. Attends quarterly board meetings of the whole and participates in at least one committee which have monthly meeting frequencies.
2. Agree to be a host committee member for the annual gala, The Fresh Ball, in Washington, D.C. and sell tickets/tables.
3. Read committee and board meeting minutes. Vote virtually between meetings when necessary.
5. Agree to co-host one board member social event per year (virtual or in person post COVID).
6. Make a personal contribution of $300 and work to raise $2,700 for a total of $3,000 annually or an amount that is meaningful for you.
7. Agree to participate in a 3 month long onboarding process.
8. Participate in and lead discussions that build a shared vision and understanding
You agree that you will:
- Promote the mission of WBL in your personal and professional life
- Represent WBL to your friends and the public at large
- Commit at least one year to the Board of Directors
- If you return for a second year, actively recruit potential board members
- Attend at least 75% of board meetings
- Agree to participate in trainings that will make you a more effective board member once you join
- Accept moral, legal and financial responsibility for Words Beats & Life Inc.
- Reply to all e-mails that require a response, and all phone calls that need a response within 48 hours
Visit our website to learn more about the organization: http://www.wblinc.org
Send your resume and cover letter as one document. Your resume will be reviewed by the Nominating and Nurturing Committee and you will hear from someone within 30 days of the receipt of your resume and cover letter.Industry
- Non-profit Organization Management
Send resume, cover letter and 2-3 minute mp4 introducing yourself and your interest in joining our Board.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About words, beats & life
St Stephens Church, 1525 Newton St NW, washington, DC 20010, US
We are unapologetic advocates for the transformative power of hip-hop culture in all its forms, empowering artists to relentlessly create and refine systems that demonstrate this notion of positive change through creativity. We embrace the sacred nature of our work and our roles as keepers and innovators of our culture.
Words Beats and Life was founded as a hip-hop conference at the University of Maryland, College Park in the fall of 2000. The brainchild of Mazi Mutafa, Executive Director, WBL was developed and researched at the University of Maryland with two fellow students who wanted to continue the hip-hop conference after graduation. When the Black Student Union decided they could manage the conference without the help of alumni, Words Beats and Life was faced with the option of dissolving or moving in a new direction. More than anything, the founders wanted Words Beats and Life to be a vehicle to transform individual lives and communities through hip-hop. In 2003, WBL was officially incorporated as a nonprofit organization with 501c3 status in the District of Columbia and began developing its first program, The Urban Arts Academy.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
January 5, 2022
- Strategic Planning
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Reporting & Dashboards
- Financial Planning
- Market Research
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours per month
- Have a connection to hip-hop that is meaningful for you.