Impact of opportunity: The Case Aide Volunteer will support the mission of the International Institute of Connecticut’s resettlement services to refugees. Many of these clients arrive in Bridgeport with few possessions and often have suffered trauma and loss of family members. The volunteer will work with IICONN staff to begin a new life here and become a self-sufficient part of their new community.
Assist refugees with accessing initial services and appointments
- Volunteers will assist with a range of services, including housing preparation, Social Security registration, DSS appointments, school registration, and medical needs
- In accomplishing these tasks, volunteers will interact with various social service providers, interpreters, IICONN staff, and a diverse refugee population.
Assist the refugee resettlement program with necessary documentation, paperwork, and file upkeep
- Office tasks will include completing forms, maintaining files, processing mail, contacting and coordinating with clients, and assisting the case managers.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Interest in working with diverse populations
- Valid current driver’s license and clean driving record
- Solid computer skills - internet, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Maturity, professionalism, initiative, sound judgment, and dependability required
- Confidence and self-motivation to work independently in challenging situations
- Strong interpersonal skills and desire to work closely in a team setting
- A positive outlook on cultural differences and a good sense of humor
- Ability in French, Spanish, Arabic, or Amharic preferred, though not required
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training