Befriend a newly arrived refugee family! Become a Family Mentoring volunteer!
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where4419 N Ravenswood AveChicago, IL 60640
About: As a volunteer you will play a crucial part in the refugee resettlement process. In addition to making a positive first impression of the United States for refugees, you will help them make a smooth transition into their new home and community. To help ensure a successful transition to the US, family mentors assist refugees with core services, potentially including but not limited to:
- Prepare apartment for refugee’s arrival alongside RICS housing coordinator (if possible)
- Provide household goods
- Greet the family at the airport
- Offer a welcoming and accepting presence during your weekly visit with the family
- Identify and assist with public transportation options for refugee
- Assist family with navigating public transportation to get to appointments as needed
- Education, Mentoring & Community Orientation
- Provide academic support to school-aged refugee youth
- Assist refugees with learning the basics: clothes laundering; grocery shopping; clothing; banking; and English language skills
Good match for: An individual, group of adults, or family that embraces diversity and wants to work together with a newly arrived refugee family to alleviate some of the hardships and challenges that come with resettlement!
Time commitment and requirements:
- Commit to volunteering at least once per week (outside of vacation/illness) for at least six months.
- Pass an online criminal history background check. The cost is around $18.00 and must be covered by the volunteer.
For more information or for an application, please email Alyssa Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Financial Literacy
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- General Education
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Once a week for at least 6 months
- Have fun while doing good:...
- Tutor Refugee Adults in English...
- Befriend a newly arrived refugee...
- Become a Tutor for ESL Students!
- Be a crucial part of a refugee...
- Create a home for a refugee
- Intern with Heartland Alliance...
- Help teach our youngest...
- Become a Women's Empowerment...
- Male mentors! Mentor a refugee boy
- Internship: Women's Empowerment...