Sustainable Contra Costa (SCOCO) invites passionate and dedicated individuals to volunteer to help us further our mission. Learn about sustainability principles and practices while building up your resume, collaborating with a fabulous team, making valuable contacts, and getting hands on experience at a cutting edge organization!
Sustainable Contra Costa is a nonprofit that educates, connects and inspires Contra Costa individuals and organizations to embrace a sustainable lifestyle. We are a community of citizens, educators, innovators, and organizations working together to create ecologically sustainable, economically vibrant, and socially just communities for all. Our work is based on the 10 principles of One Planet Living and we are committed to helping achieve the global Sustainable Development Goals through local actions in the greater Contra Costa region. Our programs and initiatives leverage the power of individual and community-wide daily actions to transform the way we interact with each other and the world around us.
We have an immediate volunteer opportunity for a few solid Education and Outreach Volunteers to create and maintain sustainable communities. Working with staff and other volunteers, you will support our workshops, trainings and public outreach efforts. This volunteer will fill a vital supporting role with the organization, enabling SCOCO to operate with a compelling and consistent presence while significantly increasing the awareness of our mission and promoting individual programs and events.
In terms of the next exciting outreach effort we are planning, it’s ourCommunity Resilience Challenge East Bay (CRCEB) which happens throughout the months of April and May. The Challenge is an annual mobilization campaign that inspires thousands of citizens and groups to take action to save water, grow food, conserve energy, reduce waste pollution, and build community. One of the main ways we connect with people about these actions is by setting up a table at a variety of street fairs, Earth Day festivals, farmer's markets and other public events to promote the Community Resilience Challenge. Volunteers will work in collaboration with staff and other volunteers to promote the challenge in a variety of ways. We distribute information and prizes to encourage folks to pledge a new action in their life, one that makes a positive difference for our planet and our local environment. In this way we "grow sustainability, one act at a time". We need a lot of volunteers to help with this tabling effort , and pair up new volunteers with someone experienced with our organization. Other possibilities to support the Challenge:
- connecting us with teachers who would be excited to get their students involved
- spreading the word about the Challenge through social media, email or word of mouth
- printing and posting our volunteer recruitment announcement on bulletin boards
- distributing promotional materials around town, such as bookmarks which stores agree to put on their counter
- data entry of people's action pledges (please see Volunteer Match ad for Data Entry Volunteer -- Community Resilience Challenge)
This volunteer will work remotely on their own computer when not attending planning meetings or providing direct outreach and event support. Hours and location are flexible, and volunteers must be comfortable structuring their own time. This work should take no more than a few hours a week. Volunteers may also have an opportunity to do writing, editing and research, as well as event production, if this is of interest.
Sustainable Contra Costa depends on interns and volunteers to forward our efforts. Our volunteer positions provide on-the-job experience and substantial professional benefits including:
* Working with a unique local environmental non-profit organization and with fun, spirited
and dedicated team members who really appreciate each other
* Connecting with innovative and pioneering leaders in the expanding field of sustainability
* Improving outreach, education and communication skills
* Valuable job networking
* Community service credit for school, if desired
* Letter of recommendation/professional reference, based on performance
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION: send your resume and a cover letter to Batya Gelfand at: email@example.com, with EDUCATION/OUTREACH VOLUNTEER APPLICATION as the subject. Please indicate in your cover letter why this position suits your skills, interests and experience. For more info, please check out our website: www.sustainablecoco.org, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION!
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 50 hour volunteer commitment
- Videographer for Sustainability...
- Event Planning & Coordination...
- Treasurer/Board Member for...
- Education & Outreach Team Member...
- Data Entry Volunteer - Community...
- Graphic Designer for...
- Fundraising Director/Board...
- Communications Committee Member...
- Auction Fundraiser Team Member...
- Auction Fundraiser Coordinator...
- Website Content Support Person
- Writer/Journalist for...
- Event Photographer for...