The Valentino Achak Deng Foundation was established in 2006 by Valentino Achak Deng and Dave Eggers, after the publication of Eggers's best-selling novel What Is the What, which tells Deng's life story. The Foundation's mission is to help rebuild Sudanese communities in war-torn Southern Sudan by increasing access to educational opportunities and creating viable and community-driven educational centers. In May 2009, the Foundation opened its first secondary school in the village of Marial Bai, Southern Sudan, the campus has been expanded to include a library, teacher-training college, and community center.
We're a very small and friendly non-profit organization.
We are looking for help with high level donor engagement and need respected leaders in the community to support our cause. This can include:
- using your expertise and public speaking skills for participation in speaking events where you are an expert on education in emergencies, TVET, rights-based approaches to education or other related topic
- one-on-one in person networking with respected leaders in philanthropy, high net worth individuals and celebrities to bring in funding for VAD Foundation
- eventplanning for fundraisers or helping to organize fundraisers in San Francisco Bay Area and elsewhere
- advising us on our program designs or feasibility aspects such as making a security plan, recommendations on administrative reforms that are necessary to apply to institutional funding, staff hiring recommendations based on the needs assessment
To apply, please send a short bio of yourself or send your LinkedIn profile to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also send videos and photos of events you have planned if you think that will be informative to the selection comittee.
- Resource Development / Management
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours per month
- commitment of one year