Daktari is a registered non-profit company located in South Africa close to the Kruger National Park. The project site is situated in a 600 hectares private game reserve. The objective is to inspire and educate local underprivileged children to care for their environment through the medium of a wildlife orphanage.
Every Monday Daktari welcomes a new group of 8 local under-privileged children for a week and gives them the opportunity to discover, learn and become passionate about wildlife, conservation and their environmental heritage. The organization also supplements their school curriculum in English, math’s, job opportunities, life skills and social issues.
The goal is to enable today’s local underprivileged children to eventually be able to secure good employment in nature reserves, thereby improving their future and quality of life.
toward environment and to extend Daktari’s influence to a wider population. This empowers the children to be role models in their community and impact the villages and the country.
The period of placement is from 12 months. You will work 7.30/8.00 hours a day, 5 days a week. Saturday and Sunday are your days off.
First of all, Daktari wants to find somebody who would like to experience the life in the African bush while having the passion of developping a project through fundraising, and office work.
The organization expects to have a motivated and dynamic volunteer who is willing to help the organisation to grow and survive by finding more fund. Daktari needs somebody who can adapt to the challenging life in the bush.
The fundraising volunteer has to be able to work in group but also being able to work independantly. The person must handle humour and show joy of life. Daktari would like to benefit of the professional knowledge of this person or from his/her dynamism.
The volunteer will gain an incredible experience through working for a good cause while getting over challenges of living in the bush with very limited funds. The experience of living in a private game reserve is fabulous while meeting with the local community and understanding their needs.
Your main goal is to follow up on the fundraising that is currently in place, find new sponsors, establish relationship with potential sponsors, review and adapt our funding proposal and get new ideas to developpe the project.
Obviously you also will be involved with the running of the camp, and the care of animals if necessary.
- To conduct the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
- To work efficiently with our donor data base programme called Little Green Light.
- To manage our online fundraising platforms, particularly with GlobalGiving.com
- To undertake research into fundraising opportunities and create and implements a sustainable fundraising strategy.
- To produce regular communications for media and other interested parties including the production of a regular newsletter designed to increase support (in team with the marketing volunteer)
- To identifie and coordinate the organisation’s needs in a logical and sustainable manner
- To liaise with the Daktari project for social network, media and fundraising purposes
- To occasionally provide care to orphaned animals as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION
- You must speak and write english to be efficient in your work
- You must be motivated by fundraising and have a previous office expenrience.
- You must be persistant and patient toward the outcome of your work in term financial results.
- You must love children and animal
- You must be able to adapt to a different culture and different environment
- To have a fundraising degree.
- To have an internet experience (Joomla website management).
- To have a degree level qualification in a relevant field.
- To be confident with Mac computers
The project is in the middle of the bush. There is no electricity in the camp but Daktari has solar power and internet for the needs of the computers. You will live in a very family atmosphere and in a beautiful area. You must be able to adapt to group life and to be away from the city.
Many challenge will occur as the days are never the same. In many occasions, you will be in contact with underpriviliged children who have not the same culture as yours. You must be an understanding and adaptable person.
As mentioned above, you will work from Monday to Friday, 8 hours a day. Everyday Saturday, any volunteer can go to town to do shopping, enjoy a lunch in a restaurant, visit the Khamai Reptile Park. Daktari also proposes extra-mural trips as visiting the famous Kruger National Park, the Blyde River Canyon etc.
You will be accommodated in a chalet or in a room in the director's house. The accommodations are based on the project site, in a 600 hectares private game reserve. There is no electricity on the farm but we have solar power for the need of the computers, refrigeration, lighting, laundry etc.
The rooms/chalets are basic but very confortable. We try to give as much privacy as possible to long-term volunteers but you might have to share a room with other volunteers. Your laundry is done for you and you will have Internet access at a minimal fee for your private use. The rooms have toilets and shower with hot water.
There are animal’s camps around the camp and you must be prepared to be in contact with them. There are also wild animals in the private game reserve.
The volunteer will not be responsible for the food expenses, accommodation and travel costs for work purposes.
You will be required to pay R.1500 per month in advance (R.18000 for 12 months). Daktari will refund you the full amount at a rate of R.1500 per month. However, if you decide to cut short your stay, Daktari will keep the amount for the non-honored months. For example, if you stay six months instead of 12 months Daktari will keep R. 9000
For the extra-mural trips organized during weekends, you will have to pay for your entrance fees and participate to the fuel expenses. You pay for you own lunch when you join the volunteers on Saturday in town.
We request that you take a week off every second month. Therefore you will have to budget for this expense. (e.g. Accommodation, food, transport)
There is no car available at Daktari for your private transport.
Daktari recommends the volunteer to arrive the Saturday in Hoedspruit airport where the organization is able to pick her/him up.
If you have your own vehicle, you can arrive independently at Daktari.
Daktari hopes that this position will meet your expectations and looks forward to hearing from you.
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Social Media / Blogging
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- 12 months
- Fluent English