Volunteers should support the Mission, Values and Goals of The Fishing School. Our main priority is to prepare public school youth for middle school and beyond by building academic and life skills and by engaging them and their parents through intensive, multi-year programs and services.
Did you know that reading scores for 3rd graders in Washington, DC are currently among the worst in the nation? Reading levels by the end of 3rd grade are a significant indication of future success throughout education. We invite volunteers to help improve the literacy of our youth by providing small group reading support afterschool for 1st through 5th graders.
- Visit your assigned site on a Wednesday, between 3:30PM - 5:30PM. We encourage you to be a familiar face!
- Promote a calm, encouraging environment where youth feel comfortable reading along.
- Help to foster a child’s love for language and the written word through sharing books.
- Ask questions to check for reading comprehension.
- Facilitate learning and curiosity - reading should be fun!
- All volunteers must undergo a Volunteer Screening, Orientation and Training.
- Submit a negative TB test and FBI Background Check prior to service.
- Excellent oral communication skills and command of the English language.
- Genuine interest in improving literacy in Washington, DC youth.
*Please be prepared to submit a resume and cover letter.
- General Education
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible: Monday-Friday between 3:30pm - 5:30pm