Assistant for Hospitality Training Program for Refugees - help refugees find sustainable employment!
30 people are interested
Hospitality Training mentors are an integral part of the month-long hospitality training program run by JVS' Refugee Services Program.
Mentors play three main roles during the training:
1) Mentors will assist the instructor in the the classroom during the first week of the program. The class occurs from 9- M-Th for one week. Mentors will help teach hotel industry vocabulary, job descriptions, customer service skills, and how to work as a team. Prior knowledge of these subjects is not required, just a willingness to learn.
2) During the final 3 weeks of the program, the students will do an internship/job shadow at one of our hotel partner sites. The mentor will be paired with one of our hotel partners and the students who are shadowing at that location. The mentor's role will be to make sure everything runs smoothly - this includes attending the job shadow for the first week (tentatively 8-1 on Tuesday and Thursday, subject to change depending on the hotel), calling students to ensure attendance, responding to hotel staff and student concerns/comments/etc.
3) The mentor will also teach a 4-hour long Wednesday session (9:00-1:00 at JVS) for the three weeks during which the students are doing the job shadow. The mentor will help students prepare for interviews in the hospitality industry and debrief on their job shadow experiences. This role requires a lot of dedication and is incredibly fulfilling - mentors play a key role in giving many of these participants their first certificate, work experience and/or training in the U.S. which can help them to find their first job.
Week one: Class at JVS 9:00am-2:00pm M-Th
Week two-four: Job shadowing at hotel 8:00am-1:00pm Tues & Thursdays, and class Wed 9am-1pm
75 Federal St.3rd FloorBoston, MA 02110
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 weeks. See schedule in details.