Would you like an office job that gets you out of the office?
Red Sweater Project collaborates with developing communities in the creation of affordable, accessible and advanced educational opportunities for children in rural Tanzania. The organization operates The Mungere School near the town of Mto wa Mbu in the northern Arusha Region.
Working alongside the Development Director and Executive Director, the Communications & Media Manager will assist in telling the story of Red Sweater Project and The Mungere School through the lens of a local presence in Tanzania. Critical in being the eyes and ears on the ground, the position will be an important part in helping breathe life into the stories and success of the program.
The position’s main focus is content generation and stories, creating and managing a body of content that can be effectively leveraged and shared to a broader support network of the Red Sweater Project using multiple platforms including e-newsletters, websites and social media. This position is best suited for an outgoing personality; a candidate who will get to know closely students, staff, volunteers and local community members.
August 1, 2018 - March 30, 2019 (7 months)*
*ability to extend service term
USD $300 per month living stipend + free accommodation and orientation, trainingResponsibilities
- Develop and create focus stories relating to individual students, teachers, staff, program partners, local families, volunteers, etc.
- Capture photographs and video, when needed, of all organizational related activities, people, partners, etc., and organize for staff-wide use
- Manage organization newsfeed, including content submissions and updates
- Track program progress in written format to be shared through general communications activities
- Assist with preparation and editing of organizational publications
- Draft press releases as necessary
- Promotion of materials as necessary
- 2 years minimum work experience with demonstrated passion for communications and story-telling
- Communications field experience preferred, including experience traveling/living abroad
- Humility. We require individuals joining our growing institution combine leadership skills with good humor, patience and a humble approach to service
- Interest in East Africa’s indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to live in a developing community
- Flexibility to work individually and as part of a diverse team
Email your resum?/CV and a cover letter detailing relevant experience to: email@example.com.----------------------
How WE Pitch In
- WE pick you up at Kilimanjaro Airport and transport you to your new home
- WE arrange and furnish shared housing
- WE provide orientation, familiarizing you with life in Tanzania and school operations
- WE do NOT charge volunteer program fees
- WE provide teaching materials (but you are welcome and encouraged to bring your own)
- WE provide assistance with travel planning and arrangements
- WE welcome your input and value your suggestions
How YOU Pitch In
- YOU use your passion and experience to the benefit of students
- YOU cover your living expenses ($300/month average)
- YOU pay for airfare, visas, and immunizations
- YOU pay for your health insurance and medical expenses (if any)
- YOU agree to follow our volunteer safety policy
Work, with a side of Adventure
As you experience life in a remote Maasai community and explore the country, it is difficult not to fall in love with the country and its people.
Mungere Village is nestled in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, a short distance from Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti Plains and other unique destinations. Travel further from the village to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar Island.
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Public Relations
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Full Time