Have fun volunteering while enjoying the fresh air, learning about locally grown produce and listening to live music! We greatly depend on our dedicated volunteers to make sure our market is a huge success AND to help with the set-up/break-down of the market.
Green Market volunteers play an important role in supporting healthy lifestyles and encouraging sustainable communities. Our Green Market encourages sustainable communities in the most basic way - by providing shoppers with direct access to local farmers and merchants. It's as simple as that. The market features fresh, locally grown produce, farm fresh meats, artisan cheeses, live music, chef demos, kids programs, and fun for all in a weekly open-air farmers market. Make new friends, have fun, shop for local food during your breaks, and support Piedmont Park Conservancy by joining our amazing Green Market volunteer team!
The Green Market is located at the 12th Street and Piedmont Avenue NE Park Entrance. Volunteer Check-in is located at the park Community Center (1071 Piedmont Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30309). The Community Center is adjacent to Willy’s restaurant.
Parking is NOT available at the Community Center. But, street parking is available. Public transportation is very close. Marta stations are located on 10th Street and 15th Street. For further directions to the park, please follow this link http://www.piedmontpark.org/visit/park_map.html. Please note that no parking validations are given at the SAGE Parking Facility located in the park.
Key Responsibilities and Schedule
- Volunteers assist with Market Set-Up (7 am--9:30 am) and Market Break down (12 pm--2pm). This involves carrying tables, chairs, umbrellas, tents and more to and from the market area. Volunteers also assist vendors with unloading their vehicles and general clean up.
- In between set-up and break down, volunteers assist Piedmont Park Conservancy as Vendor Assistants (9:30 am--12 pm). Vendor Assistants support the market as Green Market Chef Assistants, Green Market Recycling Monitor, Green Market Survey Team, and Green Market Taste of Green Market. Volunteers also assist vendors by bringing them ice or drinking water. Volunteers will also cover vendor booths as needed when vendors need to take breaks. Please note that volunteers will not be responsible for taking any money at vendor booths.
The Market occurs on Saturdays from 7 am--2 pm from mid-March to mid-December. Volunteers should arrive 10 minutes prior to the start of their shift at the Community Center to sign in with Piedmont Conservancy Staff. Volunteers MUST sign up in advance to participate.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to follow directions and have strong organization skills.
- Must be willing to work in all types of weather conditions. This activity happens rain or shine.
- Must have excellent communication skills and a willingness to engage with the public and our vendors.
What to wear/Things to bring:
- Volunteers are required to wear comfortable closed-toed shoes and should dress appropriately for the weather.
- We strongly advise volunteers to carry a full personal water bottle and sun hat/sun screen.
- Have fun volunteering while learning about locally grown produce and listening to live music!
- Enjoy prepared foods and shop from local farmers and bakers during your break.
- Go shopping during your break!
How to get involved
- Volunteers MUST sign up in advance for this opportunity. Please sign up to volunteer with Piedmont Park Conservancy via Hands On Atlanta’s website (www.handsonatlanta.org).
Late Arrival Policy
Piedmont Park Conservancy greatly values the time and effort our volunteers donate to the park. Volunteers work closely with Piedmont Park Conservancy staff to complete horticulture and maintenance projects that are vital to the preservation of Piedmont Park. Therefore, we request that all of our volunteers arrive a the assigned time. Volunteers who arrive late or unannounced disrupts our project work schedule, therefore any volunteers who arrive more than 20 minutes late will not be able to volunteer and will be asked to reschedule their volunteer shift.
- People Skills
- Environmental Education
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 7 am - 2 pm = 7 hour time commitment required.
- MUST show up on time, have great people skills and be able to lift 20 lbs.