17 people are interested
Busy Bee? Be a Backup instead!
ORGANIZATION: Mentoring Plus
Please visit the new page to apply.
17 people are interested
Too busy to commit to mentoring every week for a year? Join our list of substitute mentors, and be johnny-on-the-spot for a youth in need of a friend.
It's easy! This program is structured, planned and carefully supervised by staff. All you have to do is show up.
Substitute Life Coach: Support a young person on occasional evenings when their regular mentor can't be there.
Requirements for Life Coach:
Attend an initial two-hour training session and in-service training sessions 4 times during each year of participation in the program
Have access to an automobile, auto insurance, and a good driving record
Complete a criminal history background check
Not use illicit drugs
Not use alcohol or controlled substances in an inappropriate manner
Desirable Qualities for Life Coach & Volunteer
Consistent and reliable
Encouraging and supportive
Patient and flexible
Tolerant and respectful of individual differences
About Mentoring Plus
801 York Street, PO Box 72202, Newport, KY 41072, US
With a deep love for youth as our foundation, we believe that by forming relationships of mutual trust and respect, giving equal importance to social, spiritual, physical, intellectual and emotional needs, we can empower disadvantaged youth and families to heal, meet basic needs and create opportunities to fulfill their potential and contribute to the well-being of the community.
Mentoring Plusis an initiative unlike any traditional mentoring program. With the vital personal support of a strong adult role model, youth are provided a full array of services giving equal emphasis to social, spiritual, physical, intellectual and emotional needs.
HOW IS MENTORING PLUS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER MENTORING PROGRAMS?
While one-to-one mentoring is a powerful and proven intervention and the "heart" of the program, we also partner with community agencies to meet the needs of youth and their families.
- We recognize that addressing critical family needs is key to long-term and lasting change for the youth.
- We engage youth in their community in positive and healthy ways such as team sports, the arts, organized youth groups and community service. This process offers youth an opportunity to break away from a negative peer culture and form healthy relationships with adult role models.
- Life Coaches model healthy spirituality and present opportunities for youth to explore their personal spirituality.
- Life Coaches interact with youth through supervised and structured activities.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- The program serves youth in Northern Kentucky between the ages of 13 and 18 who have a history of substance abuse, poor school performance, delinquency and poor peer and family relationships.
- Program staff work with the youth and family to develop a Coordinated Care Plan that guides all service delivery so as to meet the needs of each youth and family via Mentoring Plus services or community agency referral.
- Each youth is matched with a trained volunteer who serves as a positive adult role model (Life Coach), spending about 2-3 hours per week with the youth for a commitment of at least one year. One-to-one interaction between the Life Coach and youth serves as the central program component.
- Along with mentoring, four core areas are addressed by program staff: substance abuse, life skills, career/job skills and education.
- The Life Coach, supported and guided by the staff, is the person who directly assists the youth to learn and to effect change.
801 York StreetNewport, KY 41071
April 19, 2022
- Youth Services
- General Education
- Life Coaching
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hours per session
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings.