Volunteer Position: Pear Blossom Place Greeter
Hours: 5:00pm - 7:30pm
Hours Per Week: 2 or more as requested
Summary Volunteer Description:
Act as a greeter at Pear Blossom Place, the largest emergency homeless family shelter in Thurston County. A 3-hour shelter training is provided. All Greeters are scheduled with a second Greeter, and have access to a 24-hour backup for support. Additional office training/support provided.
- All shift volunteers must attend the mandatory 3-hour volunteer training, and work a "training" shift at the shelter before volunteering.
- Regularly review shelter procedures. Obtain list of guests screened for your volunteer shift. Review shelter expectations online (updated daily) at the start of your shift. This will include any special notes or updates needed to keep the shelter safe and secure.
- Arrive at the shelter 5-10 minutes BEFORE the shift start time in order to receive an update from previous shift staff and volunteers.
- Welcome guests and ensure only those who have been screened-in gain entry to the shelter. An updated list is provided daily.
- Assist guests with obtaining needed supplies, following rules, and maintaining a safe and secure shelter.
- Ensure the shelter doors remain closed and locked at all times, and shelter rules are followed.
- Note guest arrival times on guest list, and note those who did not show.
- Answer calls you may receive on the shelter phone from families seeking shelter, and screen families in when space permits.
- Mediate any minor disputes, and/or attend to minor difficulties among the guests. Call the on-call staff as needed for backup.
- Keep Family Support Center advised of guest arrivals, no-shows, and a brief summary of shelter activity during shift.
- Remain at shelter until both Overnight Hosts have arrived, and update Hosts on pertinent information to prepare them for the night.
- Must be over the age of 18 with no criminal record.
- Complete a Volunteer/Intern Application.
- Must be willing to be in a "No Smoking" facility throughout shift and abstain from smoking.
- Must be willing to adhere to and enforce shelter rules while meeting the needs of the guests.
- Must pass criminal background check.
Commit to at least one shift per month for a minimum of three months.
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 1 shift/month for 3-6 months