Tax Clinic Preparer (no experience required) with Vol. Income Tax Assist. program (VITA)
WhenSat Jan 27, 2018 08:45 AM - Sat Apr 14, 2018 01:00 PM
WhereEMERGE Community Development ECTC1834 Emerson Ave NMinneapolis, MN 55411
EMERGE Community Development (EMERGE) seeks volunteers to help low-to-moderate income families and individuals in North Minneapolis and Hennepin County prepare and file state and federal tax returns.
In 2017 alone, EMERGE and its VITA tax prepares returned $255,000 in federal refunds to working people with low-to-moderate incomes in the North Minneapolis community. As a tax preparer, you will make a difference in the lives of so many by working one-to-one with community members, applying for Earned Income Tax Credit and other benefits (if applicable). EMERGE will provide a combination of performance and process based training (in class and online) that teaches basic tax law, giving you the confidence to prepare and file simple returns. With the knowledge and training, Certified Volunteer Preparers will serve as a trusted and free resource, ensuring returns are completed accurately and filed correctly. As a certified VITA Preparer, the impact of your work is immediate and rewarding.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete and certify in tax law training courses and follow policies and procedures in compliance with VITA guidelines
- Prepare state and federal income tax returns using IRS tax software TaxSlayer
- Direct appropriate customers to on-site financial services
- Work cooperatively with participants, staff and other volunteers to provide high-quality tax filing service
- Maintain strict confidentiality, providing as much privacy as logistically possible
- You do not need to be an experienced tax preparer; just have a willingness to learn basic tax law
- Friendly and approachable delivering great customer service
- Computer proficient
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment
GREAT REASONS WHY
- Immediate gratification
- Free tax law training and materials
- Flexible hours
- Continuing education credits for tax professionals
COMMITMENT AND TIMELINE
November - December 2017...........Fill out EMERGE Volunteer application and meet with Volunteer Supervisor
December 2017 - January 2018.......Complete approximately 15 hours of training, which includes: state and federal tax guidelines, software training, and EMERGE policies and procedures
*Practice labs will be available.
January 2018........................................Successfully complete open book IRS certification test(s)
January 27 - April 14 2018.................Volunteer Saturday mornings, 8:30 am - 1 pm, preparing tax returns at the EMERGE Career and Technology Center (Emerson Ave N)
(Volunteers may take two Saturdays off between late February and the end of March)
This is a great way to give back to the community while gaining excellent training and experience that you can take with you long after the volunteer position is over!
Interested: Please send an email to Terri Welch at email@example.com or call 612-787-3788 and ask that an application be sent. Please visit and share our website link www.emerge-mn.org
Help provide a life changing tax refund for someone who needs it!
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 4-5 months